PENN OverseasPro Rod

Started by Reel Beaker, February 09, 2018, 02:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi guys, today i would like to show you guys this rod of mine(If you are thinking dirty, there is something wrong with you :D).

Pics of the rod label is here:
https://imgur.com/a/f5pdX

Pics of the rod specs is here:
https://imgur.com/a/zq3TR

The questions i have are as follows:
1. How come there isnt an action rating on the rod? I thought PENN is professional?

2. How do you know what your rod blank is made of(graphite,carbon graphite, fiber glass)?

3. I have been fishing on jetties using a trolley rig setup. Usually i use a 7-8' rod with a sinker of 50g. Would i break my rod with such a weight? Coz the lure weight of the rod is approximately 20g. Which isnt much, which leads me to question how much casting distance i can get with this 6' rod.

4. How do you know if your rod is overloaded?

Tiddlerbasher

The action is marked on the rod MH - Medium Heavy. The rod is also rated to cast 3/4oz and you want to cast nearly 2oz. If you don't break the rod you will certainly cause it some stress ;)

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 09, 2018, 02:26:08 PM
The action is marked on the rod MH - Medium Heavy. The rod is also rated to cast 3/4oz and you want to cast nearly 2oz. If you don't break the rod you will certainly cause it some stress ;)

Isnt medium heavy the power rating?

Tiddlerbasher

Yeah sorry - I quickly looked at what you said but obviouslt didn't absorb it ::)
I take all the statements relating to power/action with a pinch of salt - One maufacturer's action rating of say Fast isn't applied universally to all manufacturers - they all vary sometimes by  a large margin. I have found (but not all the time :-\) that a rod rated as light is usually faster than a rod rated as XH etc. Unless you try it, or are familiar with that manufacturer, you cannot be certain what the power or action  really is. If you pop your rod into a holder and load it with 3/4oz it will bend doh! Where it bends determines the 'action' if it's the top 1/4 to 1/3 it can be considered fast - if it's the middlle to tip - medium - bending from the butt slow. If it doesn't bend much at all it is heavy - bends a bit MH - bends quite a lo M etc.
I say again this varies from one maker to another - that's why I prefer to feel the rod, wave it around a bit - put a reel and line and weight on it - if the shop will let you - at least put a bend in it!
I have a loft fall of rods that didn't meet my requirements - bought on spec. - I don't do that  anymore unless I'm familiar with the blank and it's a custom build (or a collectible).
I apologize for the long winded reply.

MarkT

Calstar, Seeker, UC, Phenix, etc don't have the action (xfast, fast, med, etc) on the rod. They list it in the specs for the blanks. The model, line rating and sometimes lure weight rating are usually on the rod. They're all a lot more 'professional' than Penn.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!