Great Headlight

Started by Gfish, February 10, 2018, 03:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

This Is my best headlight to date. One charge when I first bought it 9 months ago. Got a rheostat for the front light to reduce battery consumption, 3 modes for the back light. No signs of corrosion yet. Got it at REI. I Use it once /week for about 3hrs. when I go out kayaking before sunrise.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Nice.  We call them shark lures.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

Black Diamond has for some time been a leader in head lamps Taking the lead from Ptezl who still makes quality headlamps. I like Black Diamond I've go the waterproof Storm model & love it.

I also use a lot of there caribiners ... Jeff  

Rivverrat

Quote from: Dominick on February 10, 2018, 03:46:14 AM
Nice.  We call them shark lures.   :D ;D Dominick

Daron & I were talking close to this topic last night... Jeff

philaroman

Nice.  We call them shark lures.   :D ;D Dominick

Does it have a red light option for stealth?  ...only penetrates the water column a few feet, to not spook Stripers or attract sharks  ...also, minimal night-blindness

Shark Hunter

The red light is also not supposed to attract bugs.
I use Princeton Tec headlamps, They are very light and Bright.
The Remix model is Only 80 grams and 150 lumens for 150 hours on 3 AAA Batteries.
Life is Good!

philaroman

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 10, 2018, 04:56:42 AM
The red light is also not supposed to attract bugs.

DEFINITELY TRUE -- at least, for some bugs (skeeters still smell you out).
I was stream-side at night when a major hatch started & it was INSANE
within minutes, I couldn't see or breathe (much less, fish) w/ lamp on
w/ red or blue light, I could fish in relative comfort

Rivverrat

These lights now days are all pretty good. It would take more effort to find a bad one than a bad one form the better makers. The tech involved on them has really started to even out among the companies making them. Weight, light output, battery life & degree of weather or water proofness, of course price is what will seperate different models & makes.

It's really amazing how bright some are with long burn times. I remeber when it seemed there was a better, brighter burning one coming out every month. I finally just decided to get what worked for my situation when it wasnt provided to me & leave it at that. Small, lite weight, powerful, stuff in a pocket lights, will always be an interesting thing... Jeff

Gfish

Quote from: philaroman on February 10, 2018, 03:57:23 AM
Nice.  We call them shark lures.   :D ;D Dominick

Does it have a red light option for stealth?  ...only penetrates the water column a few feet, to not spook Stripers or attract sharks  ...also, minimal night-blindness

No red option, definitely a thing to consider. The biggest deal for me is no corrosion so far, as I get splashed most mornings. The cheaper ones($ 15-40) using changeable batteries(dime size or the 1.5V alkalines) fail on me within a couple of months. I do the cleaning, but it seems you can never stop it completely.
Gonna head-out this AM and see if I can attaract some sharks... A thing also to think about. As it gets lighter there are paddle boarders, surfers, snorklers and SCUBA divers that would be a eaiser meal than myself, but I'm it, for about 2hours. I don't really worry, until I hook-up and then get 'em in close to the yak.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!