Pro Gear Wahoo Special

Started by rogan, February 11, 2018, 09:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogan

Just got a new to me wahoo special in good shape with original drags.  I want to change out to a 5-stack.
The total height is 9.88mm, so if I use 1 mm carbon fiber and 1mm washers, I should be pretty close.
I can cut my own carbon fiber, but I don't have the washers... any suggestions?
Drags are 32mm od and 10mm id.  Since I'm not familiar with anything larger than a 4/0 size reel, i haven't needed any drag washers this large.

I may have to cut my own steel washers, but before I do I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a source for this size.  Thanks!

Bryan Young

No source for the metal washers. You would need to cut them yourself.

I decided not to provide a 5-stack kit because the gears would likely strip out if you increase the drag above 20#, which is more than sufficient for this reel size and gearing.

If I recall, the drag washers are similar to the penn 114H/115L size.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

rogan

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply.  I was not looking to increase the max drag, just make it smoother.  I've learned a great deal from the forums, and max drag is not that important to me. I try to fish the correct setup and appropriate drag range for the target species.

On my reel, there is just over a quarter turn of the star to go from a couple pounds to max drag. I wanted the 5 stack to help smooth this out and to give me room to add some tension washers so I could have more adjustment range.

Bryan Young

Quote from: rogan on February 12, 2018, 03:21:48 AM
Bryan,

Thanks for the reply.  I was not looking to increase the max drag, just make it smoother.  I've learned a great deal from the forums, and max drag is not that important to me. I try to fish the correct setup and appropriate drag range for the target species.

On my reel, there is just over a quarter turn of the star to go from a couple pounds to max drag. I wanted the 5 stack to help smooth this out and to give me room to add some tension washers so I could have more adjustment range.

What drag washers are in your reel?  Is it carbon fiber?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

rogan

No, old style speckled material, very hard and thick, 1.5mm each.  Each metal washer is a different thickness.  I didn't take photos when I cleaned it, so I'll pull it apart tomorrow and photo it. I don't think it had any belleville washers either...

Bryan Young

Quote from: rogan on February 12, 2018, 04:56:53 AM
No, old style speckled material, very hard and thick, 1.5mm each.  Each metal washer is a different thickness.  I didn't take photos when I cleaned it, so I'll pull it apart tomorrow and photo it. I don't think it had any belleville washers either...

Did you see this post?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1181.0

rogan

Yes sir, that's where I started and it's part of why I bought the reel.  But I have one problem, I can't see the pictures.  So I couldn't match up anything in my reel.

I did find the schematic today, and my reel is set up just like the schematic. You mentioned bellevilles, set up like (), but I don't see them in the schematic or my reel.  I mention this because I have almost 2 and 1/2 turns of the star to go from one pound of drag to the star touching the handle when I loosen the drag. The gap between the star backed off all the way and the spacer is 2.5mm and with only 1/4 to 1/3 of a star turn to go from no drag to full drag I initially thought I might be missing something...

Here are some photos of the drag stack.

Thanks for all your help Bryan!

Bryan Young

Can you post the diameter of the drag washers and I could match something up for you.

rogan

O.D is 32mm
I.D is 10mm
Thickness is 1.55mm  if I use the current metal washers

If I get some bellevilles, I'm guessing that I add them on top of the cupped washer and under the spacer sleeve?

MarkT

The cupped washer is a Belleville. On a lot of star reels there's just the one at the top of the stack. It spreads the downward force from the spacer sleeve to the drag stack.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sciaenops

Hope everyone is staying virus free.  Tuning up a PG Wahoo Special I acquired in the "off" season which looks to have the original innards as shown by OP (3 thick felts & 4 metals on top of main gear). 

Works ok w/original felt washers but pressure when buttoned down seemed pretty weak. Replaced with greased CF cutdown to size nice & smooth but not much improvement in max drag.

Want to fish it w/50#, so what are my upgrade options?  114 HT-100 5-stack (washers have larger ID)?  Does anyone know if this is what Ken's employs?

Keith

nelz

Not sure if it's just the photo quality, but the eared washer looks like its tabs are worn off. If they are, that would cause your issue. Replacing that washer would fix it.

sciaenops

Quotebut the eared washer looks like its tabs are worn off.

Thanks Nelz, didn't notice that.  I'll check it out.

nelz

Quote from: sciaenops on April 23, 2020, 10:48:05 PMThanks Nelz, didn't notice that.  I'll check it out.

If they're not aligned properly when closing up the reel, tightening the star can shear the tabs off. Let us know how this turns out.

sciaenops

QuoteIf they're not aligned properly when closing up the reel, tightening the star can shear the tabs off. Let us know how this turns out.

Finally got back to this, and all the metals looked fine.  Noticed the under gear washer was bone dry so greased that up, and decided to add a HT-100 (6-309 size) between the top 2 metals.  Also doubled up on the Bellevilles  [now (())] and drag seems noticeably stronger clamped down and smooth enough.  Re-spooled w/80# Izor spectra and 50# mono topshot.  Can't wait to try it out.