alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Pro Gear Wahoo Special
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
May 22, 2018, 11:06:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro Gear Wahoo Special  (Read 628 times)
rogan

« on: February 11, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »

Just got a new to me wahoo special in good shape with original drags.  I want to change out to a 5-stack.
The total height is 9.88mm, so if I use 1 mm carbon fiber and 1mm washers, I should be pretty close.
I can cut my own carbon fiber, but I don't have the washers... any suggestions?
Drags are 32mm od and 10mm id.  Since I'm not familiar with anything larger than a 4/0 size reel, i haven't needed any drag washers this large.

I may have to cut my own steel washers, but before I do I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a source for this size.  Thanks!
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »

No source for the metal washers. You would need to cut them yourself.

I decided not to provide a 5-stack kit because the gears would likely strip out if you increase the drag above 20#, which is more than sufficient for this reel size and gearing.

If I recall, the drag washers are similar to the penn 114H/115L size.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
rogan

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply.  I was not looking to increase the max drag, just make it smoother.  I've learned a great deal from the forums, and max drag is not that important to me. I try to fish the correct setup and appropriate drag range for the target species.

On my reel, there is just over a quarter turn of the star to go from a couple pounds to max drag. I wanted the 5 stack to help smooth this out and to give me room to add some tension washers so I could have more adjustment range.
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply.  I was not looking to increase the max drag, just make it smoother.  I've learned a great deal from the forums, and max drag is not that important to me. I try to fish the correct setup and appropriate drag range for the target species.

On my reel, there is just over a quarter turn of the star to go from a couple pounds to max drag. I wanted the 5 stack to help smooth this out and to give me room to add some tension washers so I could have more adjustment range.

What drag washers are in your reel?  Is it carbon fiber?

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
rogan

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »

No, old style speckled material, very hard and thick, 1.5mm each.  Each metal washer is a different thickness.  I didn't take photos when I cleaned it, so I'll pull it apart tomorrow and photo it. I don't think it had any belleville washers either...
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:04:54 PM »

No, old style speckled material, very hard and thick, 1.5mm each.  Each metal washer is a different thickness.  I didn't take photos when I cleaned it, so I'll pull it apart tomorrow and photo it. I don't think it had any belleville washers either...

Did you see this post?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1181.0

rogan

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »

Yes sir, that's where I started and it's part of why I bought the reel.  But I have one problem, I can't see the pictures.  So I couldn't match up anything in my reel.

I did find the schematic today, and my reel is set up just like the schematic. You mentioned bellevilles, set up like (), but I don't see them in the schematic or my reel.  I mention this because I have almost 2 and 1/2 turns of the star to go from one pound of drag to the star touching the handle when I loosen the drag. The gap between the star backed off all the way and the spacer is 2.5mm and with only 1/4 to 1/3 of a star turn to go from no drag to full drag I initially thought I might be missing something...

Here are some photos of the drag stack.

Thanks for all your help Bryan!

* 20180212_072229.jpg (2956.86 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 14 times.)

* 20180212_072239.jpg (2691.41 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 13 times.)

* 20180212_072246.jpg (2671.17 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 17 times.)
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »

Can you post the diameter of the drag washers and I could match something up for you.

rogan

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 07:33:56 PM »

O.D is 32mm
I.D is 10mm
Thickness is 1.55mm  if I use the current metal washers

If I get some bellevilles, I'm guessing that I add them on top of the cupped washer and under the spacer sleeve?
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »

The cupped washer is a Belleville. On a lot of star reels there’s just the one at the top of the stack. It spreads the downward force from the spacer sleeve to the drag stack.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: