a box of junk reels

Started by Alto Mare, February 11, 2018, 10:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

About a month ago I purchased this box of junk reels for $44 including shipping.

I recently got into these reels and my goal was to save as many parts as I could .
Here is a closeup of one to show what I was dealing with

Here is a pic of almost 3 full 220 reels

parts have been soaking overnight in Simple Green, one batch at a time

a 83 and 220N, both almost complete

a 100 and 100N

might have to check with Fred on this one, I need to make myself one nice 100
a 505N

I was not aware how large these reels were
a bunch of spools and some extra parts. I borrowed 4 spools already for some reels that I had.
There were about 12 in the mix, 2 were for a different reel

the 2 housing on the right are for the 220 and are in new condition
and what's left of the box of junk

I got a 5 gallon bucketfull of parts, I believe I did good.

If you find something similar at a good price, go for it!
Guts on these reels are very tough, there is always a good chance the inner parts are in excellent shape.
What surprised me on these, the bearings.
No matter how bad and rusty they were, all cleaned up nicely and are still working nice and smooth.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Only thing I found that will ruin the bearings is leaving them in the sonic cleaner to long... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 11, 2018, 10:59:30 PM
What surprised me on these, the bearings. No matter how bad and rusty they were, all cleaned up nicely and are still working nice and smooth.

They are surprising Sal, they clean up very well. They must have been very well made bearings. All those parts and some near complete reels, I'd say your 44 bucks spent just fine! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

Nice work! 

You are just a few parts short of some complete reels there.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

philaroman

absolutely LOVE big boxes of "themed" parts/repair reels -- scares off non-tinkering customers & keeps prices way down

festus

You definitely got your money's worth.  Yes, those 550N are huge.  How do they compare size wise to a Super 270? My 550N has an anti-reverse problem plus a couple of missing parts so I sent it to Fred a while back.  

I've been looking for a deal like on bulk Quicks for parts and repair and haven't found it yet it but did get a similar deal on a gob or Mitchell 300 a few months ago.

Congratulations, Sal!

Chuck750ss

happyhooker

Looks like a good deal.  The ultimate challenge for resurrecting reels would be to take something few think has any hope of fix, and getting something good out of it.  Here, several good reels "made" and a couple more pretty close to "made".  Way to go!

Frank

Midway Tommy

Looking good, Sal. If you can make the 110 & 110N whole again you've more than paid for your investment.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)