50vsw Bridge Cover Assembly

Started by Bayhouse, February 12, 2018, 01:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bayhouse

I was servicing my reel this evening and as I was putting the last few screws in, the bridge cover assembly (#124L) button (drag adjuster) popped out.  I can't figure out how to get it back in place and stay.  I can push it in and change the drag setting, but for some reason it just pops out again. 

Any ideas how to get this back together?

On the schematic it looks to be a single part.

Thanks

alantani

if i'm reading this correctly, what i do is push the bridge cover assembly "in," then turn to adjust and then it is supposed to pop back "out."  if that's what's happening, it's working properly.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bayhouse

Thanks Alan.

Your description of normal operation is spot on, but what's happened for me is the cover of the bridge assembly has separated from the reel.  I can press the bridge assembly into the reel and turn the drag, but the cover disconnects without pressure.

There is a stub on the bridge cover that looks like it could "gear" into the internal parts, but I can't seem to get it to bite and certainly wouldn't want it to pop off while fishing.

alantani

it's held down by two screws, key #31.  they are in place, correct?

Bayhouse

Yes, the screws are in place for the assembly,  it's the knob itself that has separated.  Sorry, my previous post wasn't clear about the "cover".  I can post a pic when I get home tonight.

alantani

crud.  got it now.  there is probably a clip or retaining ring on the underside........   :-\

Bayhouse

Here are pics of my problem....

alantani

yeah, there is likely a retaining clip underneath that slipped out.  the handle has to come off, then the entire plate.   :-\

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on February 20, 2018, 10:23:04 PM
crud.  got it now.  there is probably a clip or retaining ring on the underside........   :-\

I believe there should be something that holds it in place.  The preset dial should be affixed to the cover (usually with a c-clip), before it is installed.  

Maybe try removing the spring 18b, then use a screw driver to move the preset screw  143  towards the spool some, to create more space, before reinstalling the preset knob assembly.

Might want to take the subassembly apart, and post a pic of the parts you have laid out in order?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bayhouse

Thank you both!

I spoke with Scotts today and he pulled out a Bridge Assembly from Inventory.  There is a C Clip on the back side (not listed in the parts diagram) that holds the knob in place.  He said it was a pretty good size so I can only guess that it is inside the cover plate of the reel.  I need to tear it down again to find the clip and/or look on my workbench to see where it might be.  A hunting trip to Home Depot could be in my future if it "disappeared".

Tightlines667

They have a habit if getting lost, usually stuck inside the side plate or somewhere with grease, or in the grease itself.  Make sure any replacement is stainless steel or you will be looking for trouble. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn

Quote from: Bayhouse on February 21, 2018, 07:32:36 PM
Thank you both!

I spoke with Scotts today and he pulled out a Bridge Assembly from Inventory.  There is a C Clip on the back side (not listed in the parts diagram) that holds the knob in place.  He said it was a pretty good size so I can only guess that it is inside the cover plate of the reel.  I need to tear it down again to find the clip and/or look on my workbench to see where it might be.  A hunting trip to Home Depot could be in my future if it "disappeared".

The clip is part # 195 025 (1192441) which we do sell, however when it pops off it usually remains in the cover.  If you do have the clip take a pair of pliers and pinch in the ears just a touch so it wont pop off again.  Also looking at your pic, the preset knob you are holding is missing a spring and bullet in one side, the other side does have both.  The reel will work with only one set, but it will much easier to "push to turn" and you could accidently adjust the preset drag if bumped.

tony