These ULUA ( Giant Trevally ) MEAN BUSINESS ! ! !

Started by ez2cdave, February 12, 2018, 05:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

These ULUA ( Giant Trevally ) MEAN BUSINESS  ! !!

Tight Lines !

David Hall

I see why people are enthusiastic about hooking up these fish.

David Hall

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on February 12, 2018, 10:01:21 PM
Is this one of them?

That is a Bluefin Trevelle (Omilu), not a Giant Trelleve.  It's a big one though.

I spent about 3,000 hours in a wildlife blind on a remote atoll watching the water for sharks and observing other sea life.  Some of my favorite shows were the GT's working cooperatively to here bait fish in the shallows then busting them.  Often they would jump right up on the beach, and once I say a GT actually catch a bait fish in its mouth on dry land b4 flipping back in the water.  These fish are not afraid to beach themselves, and are great at working as a group to corner the bait.  I had groups of 40-60lb fish charge me, and one actually dropped my snorkel off when jumping off the boat into a group of fish.  Usually they would just shadow you when you were diving/freediving, hoping you would unearth a feeding opportunity for them.  Fascinating fish.  Very strong too.  I caught a 110lb fish on a 500lb handlines once, and 4 off us could not budge that fish for quiet a while.  

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

So I can cross that one off my list then!  Yeah.

ez2cdave

This is a 100 lb. ULUA ( Giant Trevally ) . . . The record is around 170 lb. +/- !

Another large ULUA

Tight Lines !

David Hall

Those are definitely large.  From the beach that has got to be one heck of a fight.

ez2cdave

Quote from: David Hall on February 14, 2018, 02:08:01 AM
Those are definitely large.  From the beach that has got to be one heck of a fight.

I bet they pull like a "freight train" . . .

Tight Lines !

conchydong

Awesome fish. BTW, If you guys and gals haven't been watching Blue Planet II on BBC America you are missing out. Some of the footage is just outstanding. No matter how much we think we know about the sea, there is always something to learn.

Superhook

I've seen doco's with sharks eating the birds . The birds don't seem like they would be that appetizing with all the feathers.

Islandgypsy

Note that most of the guys in Hawaii that fish these beasts from the rocks use NEWELL reels. -Greg