Need PG help....

Started by thorhammer, February 14, 2018, 12:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I have two, almost:

One given to me by Alan. No way I'm going in there. May as well critique Yoda about his light-sabering...

The other is the carcass I got from Ted, and i wanna say 541??? It's the Jiggy sized one. i filed out a yolk to fit pinion and then see the jack for jiggy doesn't fit, I guess it takes 113H jack? Any more surprises in this chimera of a reel? Any recco on drag stack? I was just going with 113h carbontex stack.

thanks!

John

Swami805

I built one from a carcass, I think just the yoke and the rest were 113h parts. You might need a few different washers and what-not between the handle and drag stack to get it working right.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

thanks Sheridan! i was actually gonna reach out to you and here you are!

Bryan Young

John,

Did you get the yoke yet?

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

John,
You need to lay off the Red Bull Brother.
Normal people don't understand Hillbillly yammering like I do. ;)
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 14, 2018, 02:40:01 AM
John,

Bryan

Hi Bry, I haven't. I had some spare brass laying around and figured i could file one to contour on a 113H punch to see if I could put this together for when your SS swag showed. i didn't take off too much brass, but SS is the right tool for this.

thanks!

thorhammer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 14, 2018, 08:34:21 AM
John,
You need to lay off the Red Bull Brother.
Normal people don't understand Hillbillly yammering like I do. ;)

that's funny. no red bull or beer there either.

Bryan Young

Quote from: thorhammer on February 14, 2018, 10:55:52 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 14, 2018, 02:40:01 AM
John,

Bryan

Hi Bry, I haven't. I had some spare brass laying around and figured i could file one to contour on a 113H punch to see if I could put this together for when your SS swag showed. i didn't take off too much brass, but SS is the right tool for this.

thanks!

I'll send another one out tomorrow.

Sorry this is delaying your build. If you receive the first one just keep it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

no delay, and thanks. i just got around to looking at it at all yesterday to see what else i needed. i thought I had more bits but i think I built out one more 4/0 than i recalled and a Scott's order will happen today  ;D

thorhammer

Ok, dumb idea doing reels late at night with no glasses. i had the 113 jack, which is what didn't fit...I'd had everything laid out on a tray to finish off another 113H pending a couple parts when Ted posted the Progear for sale...when it arrived i just pulled off the 113H frame and plate parts and plopped progear kit on the tray til I had time to examine it...this morning, as soon as i can actually read the dang thing and look at the orientation i realized what i did...out to shop (i was working in house on desk due to cold, which isn't well lit as my bench, hench issue). SS 11-99,  and I'm in bidness in ten minutes. Will replace brass with Bryan's SS yolk and also install all carbontex. i cobbled together a time traveling drag stack of a carbontex, some leathers, and various SS washers I had, and it works fine, but will get set correct on next Scott's order also with new star.

Shifter and handle bought from Ted separately last year. I like what I have here. We keep talking about making magnum this that or the other....this is it right here.

Brass yoke: i screwed a 2x to the bench, drilled 1/2 hole in it, then superposed the yokes and screwed them down. i could then see the contour of the 113 yoke i needed to file to with rattail. once done, i just needed to hit the jig yoke ears a couple swipes with flat file and the 113H pinion went right in. i dressed with emory cloth and in business. Total time less than five minutes.

As noted, it works and since it only bears axial load to move pinion laterally, would probably be just fine. The brass would also wear in smoother over time on the steel pinion. However, clearly SS is the right way to go here. i wouldn't advise this move with a SS jiggy yoke. though the brass will wear in as a much softer metal, yoke SS is likely harder than the pinion carbon steel and could mar the pinion if you don't dress it absolutely smooth and concentric to the pinion radius. Just my 0.02.

Bryan Young

Cool jig to widen the yoke.  I have to remember that one.

PacRat

I did a SS Jiggy yoke and you are correct...it was very hard and was difficult to work with. I used a dremel with abrasive bits. The hardened stainless was wearing out bits! Then Bryan made his SS Pro-Gear yokes available and they work really well in Magnums too.
-Mike

thorhammer

New 10-349 and carbontex on the way now. Will all go in with Bryan's yoke and socket head screws courtesy of a nice member that volunteered some. Ohana alive and well.