Custom R533 4.6 problem help please!?!?

Started by jjdbike, February 14, 2018, 12:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdbike

Hey everyone
Like you all, I love my Newells. I use them for jigging & bottom fishing.
Somehow the foot (reel seat attatchment) on my R533 4.6 broke. I'm asuming it got dropped or bumped while in my bag getting ready to go fishing.
I wanted to not only resurrect it, but max it out. I bought a Tiburon narrow frame / spool kit. Also got Cortez Conversions cups/bearings, gear sleeve. Bryan's Ultimate Drag Set. Power Handel. Alan Chui Pro Challenger 4.8.1 gear set.
Sent it to a Newell repair, upgrade expert. He has been working on it for 2 days. He says that when he puts the side plates on it binds. He's been playing with it for 2 days. He's said something is wrong but can't figure out what.
He could only come up two potential issues: 1st, perhaps when foot was damaged, something else got bent. I can't figure out what that could be as there aren't many other stock parts. 2nd, although it looks really well made, perhaps the Tiburon kit is off?
Any suggestions are or ideas are very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
JD

Swami805

1st thing I'd check is the shims in the bearing cups, add or delete and see if that helps. Next would be something in the drag stack like a different thickness of one of the washers or spacers. Happens to me about half the time. Just got to keep trying different things, it can get frustrating. It could be the frame or spool, If he has a working newell he could put your side plates on it and see if how they work to eliminate an issue there. I'd be suprised if it was damaged from dropping it, there's not much there to break but it's possible
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

First try to install the spool with the frame and side plates, no drive components. Then center the spool with shims if needed.  If you have any binding without the guts of the reel, then it may be the spool.

If it binds, it'll be the left non-drive side. If it is, it may be the clicker. I have had to grind it down a little in the past on one reel that I had worked on. If not, the install the drive components and see if there are any binding. If it binds then, check the spool for rubbing by applying a thin layer of grease to the spool sides and install. Then spin the spool and uninstall the spool and see if there are any marks in the greased spool. If so, it'll likely be the bridge screws being a little long.

Hope this helps.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Yogi_fish808

Tiburon spools sometimes have issues with spool shafts not being centered or even with shaft diameters being too big to clear the pinion gear. As Brian said have your reel builder assemble it without the drive components installed and shim the reel to perfect center. I've had binding issues on many tib kits. Either with the lip rubbing on the inside of the frame or stainless rings.

Newell Nut

Sometimes the Tiburon spool shaft is a couple thousandths too large to go in the bearing. Tiburon spools are painful to deal with. That is just one possibility.

If I had all the parts I could get it together for you.

Dwight

nlam004

Check the handle nut and make sure its not too tight.  If the nut is tightened too much, it could make hard contact with the screw that secures the gear sleeve, binding the reel. 

Good luck
Nick