More on the halibut stuff

Started by gstours, February 14, 2018, 05:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I'm using an I pad so the pictures will be sent in small groups.  Butt?
   The leaders are usually.080 dia.  Crimps are 2.3 mm and the rigs are about 18-20 inches long,  the trailer hook is a braided cord usually wrapped w thread and epoxy coated.  Here's a couple more.
   Chafe protection is good.   Heat shrink tube makes a clean smooth look.  Kinda crazy huh?  I like making these things.   And testing too🤓

Dominick

One cannot argue with success.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

I've always wanted to make some of those, but not so heavy duty as our halibuts are not that big out here.  Inspiration...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

Are you worried that you'll have a ping pong paddle or barn door swallow the hooks and be impossible to release safely? I like to use big circles so it is easy to release fish I don't want.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: akfish on February 14, 2018, 08:39:18 PM
Are you worried that you'll have a ping pong paddle or barn door swallow the hooks and be impossible to release safely? I like to use big circles so it is easy to release fish I don't want.

When I lived in KTN I used a magnum mooching leader, 100# mono and 2 10/0 "J" hooks, now that I have to fish far deeper I use 16/0 or 20/0 Mustad "C" hooks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Yes I do have to cut some hooks off if the hook can't be removed with out injury to the fish.  Hooks are cheap.  Many people just use a single circle hook.   That's fine.   I've gone to the 18/0 hooks as they will help reduce the 👶 baby ones from swallowing.  Plus the larger hook will hold more bait.   Alaska allows 2 hooks.   I'm playing with a full deck.😇

handi2

Those little squids are very versatile. You can make all kinds of lures with them for cheap.

I made a bunch for my grandson to catch Mackerel with. Some seven strand wire, a small weight inside the squid, and a hook. Ready to go. These were the little 4 or 5 inch squids.

Your rig could hold anything.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

Thanks. There is a lot of ways to have fun with fish 🐠  ing stuff.  It's just good to be alive!,🐟
    Kids are so happy to see and do what we think is dumb.   I wish I was a kid again 👶.   🧜‍♂️

gstours

Some more good producers, 

gstours

The trailer hook is going to catch 50% of the fish.    So do the math,   It's not that hard.   Don't ask me why?😤. The best of both ideas 💡 is just a dumb idea.     Putting more gas ⛽️ in the boat 🚣. Is fun.  Summer is short.   Just saying!😚

David Hall

The rule big bait big fish seems to apply everywhere.  I've never seen halibut around here that compare to what you see up there, but that doesn't mean that big ones aren't here, just nobody is catching them.
I'm gonna tie one or two up in your style and soak them in a couple of my favorite spots just to see what's there.  And I agree, I wish I was a kid again too, but with al, the gear I have now, and my boat!

gstours

Keeping them organized is a problem.🙈   I made a wing in a wall cabinet with a door to keep the uv light out,  thinking that it would degrade the glow in dark plastic and fade 💡in unnecessary speed.  Take your pick.🧜‍♂️