Penn 114H S.S. Gear Sleeve Upgrade

Started by ReelzClean, February 14, 2018, 07:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelzClean

Hello All

So I am upgrading the gear sleeve on a Penn 114H. I have purchased the 98-114AT sleeve but it doesn't fit. When I put the new S.S. sleeve on the bridge support and install the pin, the sleeve doesn't turn freely. The pin and the groove on the bridge support do not line up. The pin is up against the top of the groove pushing the sleeve down against the bridge support. I have tried 2 different S.S. sleeve and they both do the same thing. The bridge support has the number "3 114H" stamped on it and it is a "post" style reel. Did I order the wrong part? Is there a batch of the sleeves out there that happened to have the pin hole drilled in the wrong location? Any ideas?

Thanks!

swill88

Welcome ReelzClean... good question... someone will come along with a good answer.

steve

Bryan Young

With any custom part and OEM parts, there are manufacturing tolerances, and quite possible, the gear sleeve fits on one reel and then takes a little shimming or shaving of the pin to make it fit right. 

In this situation, I file down the sleeve ever so slightly and test fit, and file down someone,...  It doesn't have to be round.  Many times, the flat side is near the top it was binding previously. 

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ReelzClean

Thanks Bryan

Are you saying to file the top of the pin hole so the pin sits higher or file the pin so it has a flat spot?

Thanks Bryan

Bryan Young

Quote from: ReelzClean on February 14, 2018, 07:46:06 PM
Thanks Bryan

Are you saying to file the top of the pin hole so the pin sits higher or file the pin so it has a flat spot?

Thanks Bryan

I'm sorry.  I meant file the pin
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

crud.....  if you don't find an easy fix, please let me know.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelzClean

Got it done today. I just had to file a small flat spot on the pin and that did the trick. Thanks!!!

Bryan Young