Mo's 308 steal

Started by mo65, February 14, 2018, 08:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

My brother and I hit the Columbus Fishing Expo last week. What a show...more bling than Liberace's closet. Amidst all the latest and greatest we found a dude hustlin' old used reels, now we're talkin'! He had several Mitchell 300s and 308s, but this one felt much more "serviced" than the rest. He had $25 on it, a great price for sure, but I had to haggle. I offered $15 and he countered with $20. I couldn't get that 20 spot out of my wallet quick enough! :o
   The first photo is what it looked like when purchased...not bad at all...but the handle could use some polishing. There's some brown residue on the knob, and the rotor has some rash.
   The next pic shows the insides, and sure enough, she'd been tuned up. The close up shot under the hood shows the grease, it's a light/off white/transparent grease that has taken on a grey shade from working through those aluminum gears. If anyone can identify this grease, I'd be much obliged. I've never seen this much grease be so "free". the handle spins with the greatest of ease, but feels as smooth as silk.
   The last photo is after I polished the handle and swabbed the rotor with a Sharpie marker...best reel paint ever...'til it rains! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Nice Mo! i like those reels, and the 498. Hawg handle used to make a handle for them and i put on several when the Mitchell knobs broke. i switched to paint pen instead of sharpie for reason you indicate.

Midway Tommy

Nice find, Mike! From the screw adjusted handle, unless it's been replaced, the reel looks to be post '67 & pre '76.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

X2. Also the drag knob makes it look like it might be more "vintage", a good thing. If it was a 300 it'ed probably be true, but the 308 drag knob---not sure about.
Great find. Man I really wanna go ta some kinda flea market, 'er swap meet, 'er somethin, diffrent than _Bay. Though I gotta say _Bay's been good to me so far.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

What a deal. 

If you don't have a vintage rod for that already Mo, a 308 on a new $20 Berkley Cherrywood light action 5-1/2'  rod balances perfectly.  Also the 7' M Cherrywood is perfect mated with a Mitchell 300.

steelfish

great job Mo,  the problem now is that you have to think which of your sons or grandsons will have it in the future cuz those reel will outlast you many years more than you.
The Baja Guy

happyhooker

We're all drooling; a classic model & this particular one looks like it will uphold the reputation.

Frank

mo65

Quote from: festus on February 14, 2018, 10:53:43 PM
If you don't have a vintage rod for that already Mo, a 308 on a new $20 Berkley Cherrywood light action 5-1/2'  rod balances perfectly.  Also the 7' M Cherrywood is perfect mated with a Mitchell 300.

There aren't many $20 rods that fish like a Berkely Cherrywood...I love em' Festus...I fish a Daiwa PL100 Prolite baitcaster on a 7ft. Cherrywood. I plan to use this reel for trout trolling, and we like a springy rod for this, hookup ratio is way better with a "buggy whip". I have an Eagle Claw Featherlight 6ft. fiberglass ultralight action that will fit the bill.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Wish I had a tub of the grease thats in this thing...it's excellent spinning reel grease. 8)

gumpie44

That Grease Looks Like Super Lube...... Silicone Base With Teflon Added, I Like It For My Mitchell Reels , Stays In Place On The Sliding Parts Very Well.  Can Find At Home Depot Or On Line At Amazon. Think A 1lb. tub is About $10.00 Good Value. Like Penn Blue For Salt Water, But This Is Great On My Vintage Freshwater Reels.  Always Enjoy Reading Your Posts.
thanks
Barry

P.S.  Checked Price On Line...... Had Mine A Long Time ! Little More Now, Still Very Reasonable,  Most Sell For $13-15 Wal-Mart Is   $13.06    14oz Tub
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

mo65

Thanks Barry! I'll have to check the Wally's here local. If they don't stock it I'll order a tube online. 8)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: gumpie44 on February 15, 2018, 12:20:07 PM
 That Grease Looks Like Super Lube...... Silicone Base With Teflon Added, I Like It For My Mitchell Reels , Stays In Place On The Sliding Parts Very Well.  Can Find At Home Depot Or On Line At Amazon. Think A 1lb. tub is About $10.00 Good Value. Like Penn Blue For Salt Water, But This Is Great On My Vintage Freshwater Reels.  Always Enjoy Reading Your Posts.
thanks
Barry

P.S.  Checked Price On Line...... Had Mine A Long Time ! Little More Now, Still Very Reasonable,  Most Sell For $13-15 Wal-Mart Is   $13.06    14oz Tub

Been using it for well over 10 years and wouldn't use anything else for fresh water applications, but there's no silicone in it, it's syncolon (PTFE micro powders) . I get mine in the the 3 oz tubes from Ace @ about $4.50 a tube. One tube will do at least 25 or 30 reels.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

how did you polished the handle amigo?

it looks like day and night from the way it was when you got it and after the polishing job.

noce work
The Baja Guy

mo65

Quote from: steelfish on April 24, 2018, 07:22:39 PM
how did you polished the handle amigo?

it looks like day and night from the way it was when you got it and after the polishing job.

nice work

I used Brasso on the handle...it polishes bare metals like brass and aluminum better than anything. 8)

handi2

I like it when i open a Mitchell and it has the 3 blobs of hard peanut buttter inside. You know it hasn't been molested.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

Quote from: handi2 on April 24, 2018, 11:27:03 PM
I like it when i open a Mitchell and it has the 3 blobs of hard peanut buttter inside. You know it hasn't been molested.

Yep...X2 on that for sure. I used this little 308 for bass this weekend, it was a hoot, and it performed flawlessly. It landed several small bass like this one pictured. I was never a huge fan of the Mitchells, but I'm seeing why they have such a huge following. Every time a boat passed, the guy would ask "Fishing a Mitchell"? The AR dog really talks...it's an unmistakable sound. 8)