Terminal tackle for those darn halibut’s

Started by gstours, February 14, 2018, 10:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This is what is tied to the 80# braid ant to the reel.  It's what works for me.  Thru time you develop your own preferences.  The McMahon snaps are tangle free. Chaf tubing helps protect the braid,  the upper snap is for a led light or another scent tube.  The lead leader is .060 dia, and a snap is for changing leads.  The main leader is .080 dia. And the aluminum long crimps are 2.3 mm.   See what you think 🤔.  Hope it makes sense.
    As for rods, I prefer a 30-80 six foot rod w a slickbutt, a 12-14" foregrip ans Aftco light roller guides.
Seeker glass is ok, butt the cal star grafighter is the bomb!🎣🤨

swill88

Looks good Gary. Where do you attach the hooks and sinker?

gstours

Sorry,🙁. The hd snap at the top left is for the leader w hooks,  it is straight in line with the rod line,  the lead is on the blue leader below the split ring .   The lead line is longer than the baited leaders so that they don't tangle.   When you get bites the terminal stuff can see saw some with out lifting the lead sinker. 🤔

handi2

The McMahon snaps are heavy duty but the best thing is they will not come apart. Nice rig sir..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

swill88

gstours

Hopefully this picture will help show the terminal tackle rigs.  With halibut's eyes on the top side of the head it makes sense to elevate the bait above the 🌊 sea bed.   The longer lead line also keeps the hooks from tangling it seems as well as adding more visibility.   Assuming that they can see your offering then?
   Sight, sounds,and smell can be enhanced to increase your chances.   I try to use all these my advantage.
Sometimes just jigging a little will produce a strike.   The fish may be just laying there lethargic.
    There's many ways to 🎣 and some of these ideas 💡 may help you catch your dinner 🥘.