Penn International 30 Drag upgrade question

Started by luckybass, July 11, 2015, 11:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkley1956

How do I get to the the drag on the 30?

Tightlines667

Oh...you have one of the 'fun' ones there.  

The aluminum heat shield has a lip with 4 seperate tabs that are slipped under the spool flange.  

These can come off easy or be a real PITA.  
Basically you need to use 2 thin screwdrivers, or something similar to pry the cover out.  It helps if you secure the spool (wrapped in leather or cloth) in a vise first.  You are trying to get 2 tabs out from under the flange, and then the whole shield should pop free. 

I always wondered if there was a special tool made back in the day for removing these?

Wish I had some secret trick to share. 

Maybe someone else does?

You should be able to get it out with a bit of persistence.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

John and Keith,  I have a simple enough question which is not so simple reading through this...I have two gen 1 30's with crossbars, not tube. What is safe drag that can this reel can stand, what is drag plate number to upgrade, and will the sub out take care of it? I don't need to blueprint as the odd occasion they get fished will be on mahi and wahoo mainly under 50lbs using 50lb mono on the troll. They are probably perfectly fine as -is for this purpose but I wanted to upgrade drag if possible before parts are non-existent.

thanks!

John

Tightlines667

I wouldn't be afraid to buy any of these models.  Most do not actually reauire the pinion change to upgrade, and if the reel you have does require it, there are sources for these pinions (i have 2 in my parts stock).

Good work on your reel.

Those cooling shield screws are easily misplaced, I keep extras on hand.  Can't say I ever lost one in a frame hole though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rjnelson1184

Looking to upgrade the drags on 2 old penn 30's.  Where can I get everything I need?   The upgraded drag and pinion? 

wailua boy

Im actually in the process of replacing drags on 2 30's and a 20 myself and hoping to avoid swapping out pinions.

Rjnelson1184

Did you find someone who sells the upgraded drag?

wailua boy

If im not mistaken most parts can be sourced thru Mystic Reel Parts assuming no new pinion is needed. Im still unsure if the pinion will need to be replaced on mine but by the sounds of this thread, it may not be needed.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"