A Rat by Any Other Name?

Started by foakes, February 15, 2018, 08:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Helping a friend and neighbor move to Oregon last week.

He was getting rid of old rakes, sledge hammers, tools, hardware — said to take whatever I wanted.

In the back behind 30 or 40 rusted outdoor implements was this old 2052 Shakes on a cheap 5 1/2' rod.

Been out in the lean-to for about 17 years.

Handle frozen, too filthy to even take in the reel shop until it gets squirted off.

Anyway, a nice challenge.

Nice thing about these old quality metal spinners — generally, a good restoration will bring them back to 100%.

We will see...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

El Pescador

My Money is ON YOU Fred!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Midway Tommy

All things considered, that spool is surprisingly white.  :o Must not have seen the light of day for about 40 years, or, the dirt protected it from the UV rays.  ;D 

Mike knows all about those little guys, Fred, if you come to an impasse.   :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

That's rich Tommy...like Fred would need my help...hardy, har, har...:D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on February 15, 2018, 11:21:54 PM

I've seen your work, Mike. You know your stuff!  8) A little compliment never hurt anybody!   :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Yep that should clean up very well.  And it even has the medallion.  Very similar insides of a DAM Quick but much easier to service.

Dominick

It has chipped paint.  Throw it away.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 16, 2018, 12:14:30 AM
Quote from: mo65 on February 15, 2018, 11:21:54 PM

I've seen your work, Mike. You know your stuff!  8) A little compliment never hurt anybody!   :)

Thanks Tommy, I appreciate the compliment. Hey, wait a minute, there is one tidbit I can offer Fred on this reel. The slide screw is left hand thread. I bet Fred already knows that. 8)

foakes

Finished this up yesterday in between other reel jobs.

Turns super smooth and ticks like a Swiss watch.

100% restore from the inside out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Dynamite Fred! That's a favorite ultralight...an absolute beastly reel. Is that a new side plate? It has paint now...hee hee! Top shelf resurrection.  8)

Bryan Young

Fred, you are a reel miracle worker.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on March 09, 2018, 05:44:48 PM
  Dynamite Fred! That's a favorite ultralight...an absolute beastly reel. Is that a new side plate? It has paint now...hee hee! Top shelf resurrection.  8)

Not new Mike, but better than was on there.  Just swapped it out.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

Great job as usual Fred. Some of my  customers tell me that the house smile's when it sees my truck pull up on the driveway, reels do the same when they walk in your shop😁
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.