For those who pick bearings---what do you use????

Started by reelspeedsouth, November 26, 2011, 02:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelspeedsouth

I have a slight dilemma, I don't see as well as I used to (61 years old) and sometimes I have a hard time seeing the retainer on miniature bearings.  I finally bought a magnifying light which helps greatly, but I have used different methods of picking bearings, my biggest concern of course would be messing up a bearing, which hasn't happened yet.  So I have used hooks, fine dental points to remove the retainer. I happened on another method altogether---this may sound like its dangerous, but this seems to work for me:
I use an awl (like a scratch awl with a very fine point has a wood handle)I burrow gently into the shield itself and angle the awl out and pick it and often on the first or second try after you get the feel for it, it pulls the whole shield and retianer at one time.  I just did some bearings for a Curado yesterday using this method, and thought I would mention this to you all.  What do you use and what seems to be successful for you?  Anyone have other ideas, I am open to trying other methods..... Let me know.
To be honest this seems to work pretty good. Your thoughts?

kamuwela

i use the same method if i cant get the retaining ring out. when i get tired of getting stabed i use a sharpned ice pick and pop them out. be real careful and youll be fine. i dont replace the shields anyways so good luck

Keta

I'm a slow learner (my eyes are going at 59 too) and it took me several painful stabs in the finger with a shortened dental pick to learn.  After jabbing my finger too many times I started putting the bearing in a small vice with soft jaws, no more punctured fingers.  The jaws I made are UHMW but brass works.

A magnifier of some kind is on my list of things to get, mostly for rod wrapping but I'll use it on reels too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

My 60-year old eyes get help in the form of 2.5X readers from wally-world. (Got them originally to tie flies.) So it's the fish hook or a sharp dental pick if there are retaining rings, otherwise a sharp scratch awl or one of the pick tools that Sal recommended from Harbor Freight and maybe a small hammer. If I have to destroy the shield, it doesn't deserve to be in my reel. ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Nessie Hunter

67 yr old eyes, "Prescription" reading glasses (best thing since sliced bread). 
'Good light' is a must, and a round common hand Mag Glass, if I need it....

Sharp hooks (from 6/0 to Drop shot #4), Awl and hobby knife.. 
Lot of grunting, as I seem to hold my breath in anticipation or fear!!!  LOL  :-)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

kamuwela

QuoteIf I have to destroy the shield, it doesn't deserve to be in my reel. ;)

rob you put it so well. my thought's exactly.

alantani

i just lost my best pick.  it may be months before i find it, if ever....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

It's probably where dog springs, Shimano star drag detente pins and one of a pair of socks go.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on November 27, 2011, 03:15:43 PM
It's probably where dog springs, Shimano star drag detente pins and one of a pair of socks go.

:D :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Irish Jigger

How true. Been on my knees many times searching. ;D

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Irish Jigger on November 27, 2011, 04:05:39 PM

How true. Been on my knees many times searching. ;D

LOL, glad to know im not alone in that!!!   
Feeling around like a blind man on the floor!    LOL

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

sinkerswim

Make it a family affair! The more sets of eyes looking, the more likely you still won't find the offending part, LOL. Best question from my wife: How is it that your hobby turns into OUR hobby whenever something goes flying? Me eyes certainly ain't what they used to be.