Have anyone tried the relix knot??

Started by Finatics, February 15, 2018, 11:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finatics

there is a new way to tie leader to braid knot circling in indonesian fishing community so i guess il leave it here for everyone to try. cheers.

Step 1. wrap the braid tag end twice followd by braid mainline once on the leader. do this 6  times.
step 2. using the braid tag end wrap the leader only 1 time followed by wrap both braid mainline and leader 1 time. do this 15 to 20 times.
Step 3. do the alternating half hitches 6 times towards the starting point of the knot.

there you have it. relix knot

Reel 224

That's pretty interesting I will try that it seems to be tighter knot to slide threw the guides.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Three se7ens

Looks like a variation of the fg knot. Very strong when tied right, and very smooth through the guides. The big issue I have seen is it's hard to tighten the knot properly without using some kind of bar to hold the line. I have cut myself trying to tighten an fg in 20 lb braid. Now I use 3/8" round bar covered in heat shrink to tighten the knots. That made all the difference in the works. Tighter and slimmer knots, and no failures

Reel 224

That's a good tip on the braid. I have cut myself more the once before I learned to use a wood dowel.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mike1010

Interesting knot.  I will have to play with it.

Here's another tip for tightening knots, whether braid or other:  Don't let the line lie in the creases in your fingers, because it will likely cut you.  Instead make sure it crosses the meat of the joints; much less likely to cut you.  I know it's not obvious, but it works.

Mike

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Dominick on February 17, 2018, 06:50:29 PM
Wear gloves.  Dominick

RIGHT ! Or a couple of wood dowels in your tackle bag... Jeff

mike1010

Rivverrat

Some one would have to demonstrate this knot working much better than the FG for me to change. The FG works so well that I will not use another until this happens. My testing has shown the FG to be as strong or stronger than any braid to mono connection knot.

I love knots & learning new ones. My life literally hangs from my ability to choose & tie a propper knot or hitch. Can any one here speak of the merits of this knot over others ? ... Jeff

oc1

It is wider (thicker) than an FG because the half hitches double back on top of the knot.  But I like the idea of doing one wrap over and one wrap under.  It will give the braid a ribbed texture where it compresses the leader material.

The way the guy melts the glob on the end is risky because there is nothing to keep the flame from wafting back onto the braid.  Better to hold the leader between two fingers with only the tag end of the leader sticking out.  You would burn your fingers before the braid gets too hot if the flame wafts back.  With the FG, you can trim the tag end, melt your glob and then throw the final half hitches right up to the base of the glob which will help prevent clicking as it comes through the guides at the end of the retrieve.
-steve

Rivverrat

Steve, I agree.
I of course meant  FG Knot & not PG. A brain fart on my part... Jeff

oc1

Jeff, I don't know what a RG or PG or FG means.  Wish they wouldn't name knots with people's initials.
-steve

Rivverrat

Hard for me to keep the names straight. Had to redo it twice.

Three se7ens

Quote from: oc1 on February 19, 2018, 08:50:22 AM
It is wider (thicker) than an FG because the half hitches double back on top of the knot.  But I like the idea of doing one wrap over and one wrap under.  It will give the braid a ribbed texture where it compresses the leader material.

The way the guy melts the glob on the end is risky because there is nothing to keep the flame from wafting back onto the braid.  Better to hold the leader between two fingers with only the tag end of the leader sticking out.  You would burn your fingers before the braid gets too hot if the flame wafts back.  With the FG, you can trim the tag end, melt your glob and then throw the final half hitches right up to the base of the glob which will help prevent clicking as it comes through the guides at the end of the retrieve.
-steve

The FG still has a bit of a chinese fingertrap effect on the braid, as long as its tied right.  Braid crosses twice for every revolution around the mono.  There is no need to melt the end of the mono, or even leave a tag end if the knot is properly cinched down.  The harder you pull, the tighter the braid locks down on the mono.  It functions much like a serve in hollow core braid. 

gstours

The knot was simple enough to tie butt looked kinda hoaky with the half hitch ending?   Butt what nobody seemed to comment on the testing equipment the fella was using.  ???  Now i,m impressed with a digital printout! :o    Just saying. ;)