Shore fishing around the Golden Gate.

Started by the rockfish ninja, February 16, 2018, 01:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

First keeper Halibut of the year, (24" 6lb) hopefully the bigger ones are on the way, but it's a good sign for a shore caster.
(Gear: St Croix Tidemaster, Lew's Custom pro SLP, Savage Glide Bait lure)

I catch plenty rockfish from shore using artificials but this one was extraordinarily fat for some reason, only 14" but weighed 3lbs, must have been eating well. (Gear: Tidemaster rod, Daiwa Lexa 300, Zoom super fluke softbait on a Carolina rig.)

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Rivverrat

Keep posting pics of your fishing. I love seeing what fellas are able to bring in from the shore. Also great to hear bout your gear used ... Jeff

thorhammer

Tony comes up for air! Hope you are well! Nice fish!

Benni3

Jim Fujitani

Nice!  Especially the keeper halibut, and from the SHORE!!!

SoCalAngler

Nice job on the catches.

Maybe the reason the rockfish was so fat could be do to her being full of eggs. I know rockfishing closes down Jan 1 and doesn't open back up until March in So Cal just so females are not caught before they lay their eggs.

coastal_dan

I'm with Jeff, I love to see other folks shore endeavors.  Such a neat way to fish, I love surf fishing but it is usually just plunking in baits.  I'm guessing fishing artificial is quite active fishing?!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 16, 2018, 05:29:30 PM
Nice job on the catches.

Maybe the reason the rockfish was so fat could be do to her being full of eggs. I know rockfishing closes down Jan 1 and doesn't open back up until March in So Cal just so females are not caught before they lay their eggs.

No eggs, he was just thick.
I sometimes see variations in the shape of certain rockfish (mainly brown & grass RF), either their head has a slightly different curve or they seem thicker or longer, don't know if it's genetics, feeding, or just tough luck. I once caught a grass RF that had it's head chomped by something cause you could see the healed scar and mis-shaped head. He was still going so I guess he was a true survivor of a ling cod attack, I released him just because of that.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 16, 2018, 06:51:38 PM
I'm guessing fishing artificial is quite active fishing?!

A lot of casting & retrieving, but some lures can be worked almost as slow as using bait so that's a blessing.
The real challenge is finding the holes, reading the water, presentation, and lure choice.

Rivverrat

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on February 16, 2018, 06:57:54 PM
  I once caught a grass RF that had it's head chomped by something cause you could see the healed scar and mis-shaped head. He was still going so I guess he was a true survivor of a ling cod attack, I released him just because of that.

Funny I've done the same. Caught catfish with no eyes because of injury. In spite of this he was a slim 4 lbs. He went back... Jeff