Newell Handle: Frozen Knob

Started by Gaffer, February 16, 2018, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

I have a couple of Newell handles with frozen knobs. Anyone know a good trick to get the knob off the handle? I have tried kroil oil soak for a few weeks and they are really frozen on. I know I can use an aftermarket handle but was hoping that someone here has been able to get a frozen knob off the handle shaft. What about an oven at low heat? These came off reels that were pretty neglected (bearings/ and or pinion gear frozen on spindle), so the knobs are frozen on pretty good.

If there is no good solution has anyone ever removed the spindle on the handle to add an aftermarket knob?

Swami805

Try a mix of 50/50 acetone transmission fluid and see if that helps. Sometimes apply heat to the screw head with a soilderong iron to loosen any lock tight. If the reels have been dropped the spindles might be bent which is hard to fix
Do what you can with that you have where you are

handi2

If the Kroil didnt do anything in that time period i would think they are stuck pretty good. If they had a metal spindle you could heat up that has worked for me.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Newell Nut

I have a box full of those handles. If you fail just send me a PM. I can take care of you. What size Newell is it?

Dwight

Donnyboat

Hi gaffer, if your going to use acetone & auto transmission fluid 50/50, which is normally the best, if the knobs are of a rubber material, don't get any of this mix on the out side of the knob, as it will go all sticky, try heat the shaft up with a thin soldering iron, or run hot water over it straight out of the kettle. good luck, cheers Don. please let us know how you get on.
Don, or donnyboat

Gaffer

Thanks for all of your replies. I tried the how water from a tea kettle (Thanks Donnyboat.) The knob popped out of the handle (aluminum shaft included!!)
With the aluminum shaft out I decided I would throw on a different knob. Basically I just drilled a small hole in the handle in order to screw in a power knob that I had from another reel.
It actually works quite well and was a relatively easy fix. I might get a different machined screw for the knob so I can countersink the head into the handle.

Main lesson to learn from this experience is preventative maintenance is very important. A little grease on the spindle would have prevented this.

Thanks for all the advice. And Newell Nut, thanks for your offer but looks like my fix should do the trick.