Banquete, Carnitas de Cerdo, Arroz Mexicana, Frijoles Pintos and Pico de Gallo

Started by ChileRelleno, February 18, 2018, 04:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Today the kitchen was mine, even the dog got the boot... And stay out!

I got up late and made a fine gut busting breakfast, after all a man can't cook on an empty belly.
Eggs, sausages and biscuits with jam/butter

The Menu
Carnitas de Cerdo
Arroz Mexicana
Frijoles Pintos
Pico de Gallo
Tortillas de Maiz
Condimentos

Traditional Carnitas de Cerdo
Dry brine 2"-3" cubes of pork, then marinate for 2-3 hours in,
3parts orange juice, 1 part lime juice, keep rinds in marinade and cooking.
Salt, 3 cloves garlic, 2 Bay leaves and Cumin.
Drain juice and everything else goes into the dutch oven, add in a quartered onion
I use enough bacon grease and lard to just cover the meat, and cook for 2 hours or tender over medium heat.
Then I switch to high heat to crisp the pork.

Arroz Mexicana
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/arroz-mexicana-aka-mexican-rice.253258/#post_1745365

Frijoles Pintos
Soak 1lb beans overnight
Roast, 1 chile jalepeno, onion, tomato and garlic
Add beans and water to cover
Spices, 2T Salt, 1T Cumin, 1t each Paprika, Cayenne and Ancho
Simmer for several hours

Pico de Gallo
Like most salsas/gaucamole, I make it the day before so flavors have time to meld.
Gotta let the chemistry happen.

Assorted fresh veggies chopped fine, tomato, onion, bell peppers, Jalapeno, garlic and cilantro.
Salt, Cumin, Paprika
Lime and/or Lemon juice
White vinegar

The Banquete

The Finale

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

conchydong

That looks great. We do something a little similar where we marinate the pork chunks in  sour orange and garlic and boil them in a water and lard mixture. By the time the water has evaporated, the pork is tender and then the chunks are "crisped" up in the remaining  fat. Masas de Puerco is the name. Onions can be added to the mix.

Keep up the good work. Your cooking posts are inspiring.

Scott

coastal_dan

Honestly one of my favorite meals on this planet...Carnitas is just so moist and fantastic!  You sir, did right by it as well.  Your breakfast alone would fill me for the day! Haha, thanks for sharing.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

STRIPER LOU

Chile, over the top as usual.

Man, you make some good looking chow.  ;D

..........Lou

steelfish

so yumy amigo Chile, you just hit in the nail again.

every saturday and sunday you can find small rest. selling Carnitas everywhere in Baja, is a normal food for the weekend, once you try them you are hooked.
The Baja Guy

Jerseymic

Chile,

If I didn't have age and infirmity against me, I would jump on a plane across the pond and knock on your door for a feast.

Stunning food as usual.

Mike,

U.K.

Dominick

Way to go John.  Cooking in lard is the traditional way to cook carnitas.  That's the way I do it.  During research for carnitas once I found a Youtube video cook added leaves from his orange tree along with the orange rinds.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Thanks y'all, appreciate the comments.
Just a way to relax after a hectic week.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Gobi King

Chile,
It looks so yummy, thanks for sharing.

I going to try it tonight with my oldest. Slow cooked meat is my fav'stestestest food.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

Oh! Chile I'm just about to turn in for the night - and you come out with this >:( I'm now gonna have to raid the fridge for some 'munches' ;D

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson: