Another pro gear double dog is born.

Started by gstours, February 18, 2018, 06:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

A fellow member asked me to mill the end plate and fit a spring to a great little reel.  Here is how it looks.

gstours

An end cutter w 4 flutes cut the main part and a 1/16 inch cutter made the spring slot.   A drill press with a cross feed table/vice provided the lateral movement.   

STRIPER LOU

Gary, you getting really good at this. These are without a doubt one of my favorite reels. Especially the 545.

Great improvement and excellent work as usual!

...................Lou

gstours

The fit was checked and it was right on.  This makes for a better reel that is already great.   Sorry about the having to show an old cruddy bridge and gear,  but it's the fit I was insuring.  Works great.   The leaf spring is from a sheet of 020" titanium .   Quite easy after you do a few.

gstours

Another of the works,⚙️🔩🔧

Alto Mare

Nice job Gary, that spring has some serious bend :). He should be very happy with his DD reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

This is a penn 4/0 plastic plate that the design and evolution came from for me.   If anyone has an interest in me doing this modification for their reels let me know.  ⚙️🛠🔩🔧📫

gstours

Another aluminum j variance plate is for my newest tank. 

David Hall

bhale1

Gary,
Is that a double dog, double spring 4/0???  We may have to come up with a new name for that one! Butt, I don't know what that would be yet..😀
Brett

gstours

Yes mr. bhale1,  its a forerunner of the now improved titanium spring,  these ca be made quite easily using  some aviation tin snips from scraps of sheet.   the double spring one pictured with the red plate needed a little more click I thought while testing .   I would like ti use a narrower slot butt it is what it is.   I cannt fold the titanium 180 degrees and flatten as it will crack and break.   Soo i,m going to try to heat it red in thet end and fold test some pcs before stating it cant be done.     thanks for the interest.     The larger reels can really benefit from the double dog.   just saying. ;)

mrwilson99

wow!!!! I think I need this for my reels!
David

Gfish

Titainium leaf springs, I love it!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

You can call it the "Titanium Butt Tank."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.