Fly tying vise

Started by Gobi King, February 19, 2018, 04:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Any fly tyers here?

My head is spinning from the choices out there, these are rotating ones.

I found:
1. Peak
2. Renzetti
3. Griffin Mongoose

I tie mostly some egg sucking leeches and streamers for big lake or salt water. The griffin comes with a carrying case which looks like a handgun case.
I don't see myself size 22 floaters.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

Renzetti have a good reputation - but $$$ - Orvis had a good price on the Traveller models.
Having tried a few cheaper options (many years ago) I ended up making my own bench top one - but I also purchased a cheap, lightweight, travel vise - Danica Innovation Cam vise (don't know if they still available) my one regularly goes on trips with me.

STRIPER LOU

I've probably had 20/30 different vises over the years and I eventually sold them all but my Griffins.

I have 3 Patroits set up all the time. Discontinued but near the same as the 3ARP. If you were tying tiny stuff this wouldn't be my choice but for the average fly tier, say using a size 1 to 10/0 it will handle them all.

Affordable, quick adjustment, rock solid, and the ability to hold large hook with no problems at all. Of course its just an opinion and not to say I didn't like some of the others, but this one gets the nod.

Last year I tied over 700 bucktails and never had a hitch and have never replaced any parts on the G's. Almost forget to mention, with the Patriot or the 3ARP, I like the fact that is easily put on a parallel plane.
The angular setup on the Mongoose or similar styles from other brands only lend itself to better visibility and easier access when tying tiny flies. It does nothing to add rigidity which is important to me.

I prefer the heavy base over the clamp and have a quick ratchet clamp the allows me to pretty much use it anywhere.

Let us know how you make out and good luck with your decision.

Regard's,  ..  Lou

Gobi King

Thanks guys,

Tiddlerbasher,
Amazon has it
https://www.amazon.com/Danica-Danvise/dp/B001NZNRBK

Looks fancy,

Lou,
700 bucktails, that is 693 more than I tied last year! Sounds like Griffin is good stuff.

how about:
For grandma - griffin mongoose
For moi - danica

We use plastic folding tables at our fly tying meetings, the edges on those tables are not the best for clamping on a vise, I will get an aluminum plate and fab a stand for the danica.

Thanks guys!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

STRIPER LOU

I've seen a few of the Dan vices at the club. A lot of guys like them. Some parts are made out of synthetics.

Tied a dozen this morning as I have several orders from local tackle shops. Got a monster vise here that was home brewed several years ago to tie 12/0's plus. It has a likening to a Sherman Tank with an 8" C clamp. The locking arm is close to a foot long. Its quite a conversation piece at the shop.

Good luck and happy tying,  ..  Lou

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

My vises from years ago were small jaws non rotating for small 18-22 when I was doing a lot of lake trout dry fly fishing.  Now I need one for tying large streamer flies for salt water use.  Neither of my visas were adequate for the task and I don't see myself tying enough to warrant spending $200-$500 for a vise.  I found one on eBay true rotating pedestal mount comes with it as well as clamp vice and the jaws can take up to 8/0 hooks.
Think it was something like 139.00. Should last as long as I need it to.  I'll probably tie a couple dozen flies a year on it.  I'll walk out and see what brand and model it is.  Okay it's aN FFS Raptor, all stainless steel construction.
Purported to be made by a dental equipment manufacturer.

Bryan Young

That's a beautiful vice Dave
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

I hope to start tying in about two weeks, just realized today that my reels need servicing?  What the heck!

Tiddlerbasher

David - that's a lovely vice and a bargain price - very similar to a Dyna-KIng without the $$ :)

Ron Jones

I have, and love, the Renzetti traveler. I am not as good at tying flies as I should be. Most of my streamers end up looking like bucktails and lets not talk about me tying a muddler minnow. Definitely something on the retirement list.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tiddlerbasher

Gobi - if you wan't to make your own vise - here's what I made about 25yrs ago - all stainless and brass with a marble and mahogany base - all parts offcuts/scrap - the marble was scrounged from a maison's yard - weighs about 5lb - cost 0£ just time invested.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Chris! Much nicer than mine! I have several which are a bit crude and handle the biggest hooks.

Are you tying mostly freshwater? Everything here is big stuff. Some of the bunker flies are 8/9 inches.

Years ago I purchased about a dozen vises and miscellaneous materials  from and estate sale. Several of the vises were real antiques. Lots of brass and fairly ornate. I made the mistake of selling them all and wish I hadn't.

I tried to research a few of them but came up with nothing. If any were homemade, somebody really new what they were doing.

..................Lou

Tiddlerbasher

Lou I mainly tie trout flies - but I do occasionally tie sea bass, mullet and pike flies. For some of the very large pike flies I used a 4" bench vise ::)

STRIPER LOU

These are the Griffin Patriots and a crude monster vise set up on my fly tying/plug building bench.

I pretty much tie every day in and among many other things. The 3 vise setup allows me to have several flies going at once so if I'm waiting for something to dry as in the case of tube style flies, I just go to the next vise and continue on another. I tried 4 vises once but my feeble mind couldn't handle it!

This system does save time for me. On a good day, when the phone stops ringing, and I'm dedicated to this, I can tie around 30 bucktails and actually get a few other things accomplished. After that, my eyeballs start to cross.

I try my best to keep the area organized but it just doesn't seem to happen the way I like it. If anyone should be looking for hard to get materials, you can check with me. I have a HUGE inventory, boxes and boxes of materials and if I don't have it, more than likely I can get you steered in the right direction.

OK, back to knobs and all have a great day,  ..  Lou