Fly tying vise

Started by Gobi King, February 19, 2018, 04:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 20, 2018, 12:53:28 PM
Gobi - if you wan't to make your own vise - here's what I made about 25yrs ago - all stainless and brass with a marble and mahogany base - all parts offcuts/scrap - the marble was scrounged from a maison's yard - weighs about 5lb - cost 0£ just time invested.

That is the nicest tying setup I've seen in a loooong time.

Frank

Tiddlerbasher

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: David Hall on February 19, 2018, 11:32:56 PM
Okay it's aN FFS Raptor, all stainless steel construction.
Purported to be made by a dental equipment manufacturer.

David,
That is a good looking vise, hmm, the choices are piling up. I looked it up and amazon sells it, yaahhh
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 20, 2018, 12:53:28 PM
Gobi - if you wan't to make your own vise - here's what I made about 25yrs ago - all stainless and brass with a marble and mahogany base - all parts offcuts/scrap - the marble was scrounged from a maison's yard - weighs about 5lb - cost 0£ just time invested.

wow, that is a simple base, I am saving the pic. zero cost sounds even better, how did ya drill out the marble?
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 21, 2018, 12:24:07 PM
Why thank you Frank :)

Lol,

Lou, that is an assembly line!

I love how you have hung the material.

On the topic of material, having only a few roll of red chenille and bag of black fur, I need to load up on material to tie streamers for salt surf and MI waters (spring lakers off the surf at ice out).

What are some good online sources of fly tying material in bulk?

Griffin - Does the 3ARP vise rotate like the mongoose?

Fichigan

STRIPER LOU

GK, thanks for the comments. I've been tying for over 50 yrs and I still enjoy it! I'm tying a 350 pc order right now.

I like "fly tiers dungeon"! I especially like his Congo Hair. Its a thin and a very lifelike synthetic, plus its durable. Doesn't absorb water and has a very natural look when wet.

I can easily mix 6, 7 , 8, colors without getting overly bulky and the price is quite reasonable as are his other products. I do sell it in the shop and usually purchase several hundred packs at a clip. His website is a bit cheaper and has more of a selection than I do, so he's your best bet for pricing and delivery.

Another option for synthetics is Bijoux super jumbo hair braid. This is the stuff the ladies use. Its 100% synthetic fiber but I'd stick with this particular brand as I know this one does not absorb water and some of the other brands do. It very reasonable and is available in a crinkle finish.

Of course I still use good old fashion bucktail but the majority is  synthetics. Hope this helps and any other questions, ask away.

OK, back to work and have a great day,  ..  Lou

Tiddlerbasher

Gobi I drilled the marble with ordinary tct masonry drills - slow and easy no hammer. Started at 5mm and worked up to 8mm for the stainless shaft - easy to do. The hardest part was profiling the jaws for the vise - that took a while.

happyhooker

Quote from: Gobi King on February 21, 2018, 01:52:25 PM

What are some good online sources of fly tying material in bulk?

Don't ignore a lot of ordinary stuff around the house & in plain 'ole regular stores.  There is a book--the exact name escapes me but I believe it is "Common Materials for Fly Tying", by Jay Fullum-- that covers some of that material, from superglues to Christmas tinsel to chenille to plastic lacing to plastic grocery bags to...the list goes on.  Living out in farm country, I can get all the road kill squirrel tails I want.  Tying traditional is fine, but you can be creative too.

Frank

Tiddlerbasher

The main things I buy from fly tying shops are capes (like Metz 1 and 2) - one cape lasts forever (it seems) - it makes an awful lot of flies.
For modern type materials I go to haberdashery shops and hobby/craft shops - it's amazing what these shops have - all you need is imagination ;)

STRIPER LOU

GK, the 3ARP is fully rotational. I like it to a point but am partial to the Patriot. 3ARP is based on the 2A jaw configuration and not quite as stout but very similar. Patriots are available on ebay from time to time.

Its possible the Mongoose might be a better fit for you as long as your not tying monster flies. I find the griffins have superior clamping over most others. In addition I cant tolerate any vise that  marks hooks either.

Here, I have to go with a vise that handles the largest hooks and offers the most rigidity.

You never mentioned what size hooks you were tying on. Obviously I'm geared for the big stuff.

The other option is rolling your own. If you have the time and skills you can come up with exactly what you want, and cheaply too!

.....................Lou

happyhooker

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 21, 2018, 03:41:47 PM
The main things I buy from fly tying shops are capes (like Metz 1 and 2) - one cape lasts forever (it seems) - it makes an awful lot of flies.
For modern type materials I go to haberdashery shops and hobby/craft shops - it's amazing what these shops have - all you need is imagination ;)

In the US, a haberdashery is a general mens' clothing vendor, whereas in England, I suspect it is a store that sells needles, threads, buttons and maybe all sorts of sewing supplies.  We'd call the latter a "fabric store", and if that is the same/similar to an English haberdashery, there is no doubt, Tiddlerbasher, that such a place can be a potential gold mine to a fly tier.  Ditto hobby/craft stores.

I'm still salivating over that vise you built--WOW.

Frank

Tiddlerbasher

"In the US, a haberdashery is a general mens' clothing vendor, whereas in England, I suspect it is a store that sells needles, threads, buttons and maybe all sorts of sewing supplies.  We'd call the latter a "fabric store""

Frank, a case of two countries divided by a common language ;D ;D

Gobi King

Frank/Tiddler,
Good idea, I guess the fish won't care if I used my kids plush toys to tie the flies ;-)

Lou,
I main and only fly I tie for MI salmon/steelhead is an egg sucking leech in size 6 hook (I use a 3x forged).

I want to try surf fishing with flies this year, starting in MI at ice out, so for these I think I am going with 1/0 or 2/0 hooks for streamer.

Same for salt surf, not sure what I need to tie here, maybe you guys can suggest,

Thanks,
Fichigan

David Hall

I only got in trouble tying one time, I needed some white fiber when the wife's malamute happened to walk by me grabbing my scissors and I fixated on the poor hounds tail!  I got the fly tied amd as it turns out it was the most productive fly I ever tied.  The dog however never came near me again.