Fly tying vise

Started by Gobi King, February 19, 2018, 04:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

A lot of the pro's here at the shows tie on Renzetti's. They're more suitable for the smaller flies.

I love going to all the seminars and seeing the old timers tie. Some of them are truly artist and one can learn a lot from them. I'm always amazed when the tie the tiniest of flies with no effort at all!

.........................Lou

Tbrom

I am a little late on the reply but I love my Peak. You can pick them up very reasonably also.

STRIPER LOU

Those are a good value. I was at the HFFA this morning and there were a bunch of gent's tying. Some using Peaks, some Griffins, some Renzetti's, and a bunch of Regals.

One of the old timers was tying on a #32 hook. Way out of my league! There were tons of tying supplies, most priced reasonably, but I only walked out with a few Ocean City conventional reels for
5 bucks each! Same guy every year usually has about a dozen or so misc reels. This time I at least gave him my card.

One of the guys made absolutely sure I understood what an articulating fly was. Some pretty amazing talent and lots to be learned.

................Lou

Gobi King

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on March 10, 2018, 11:33:21 PM
Those are a good value. I was at the HFFA this morning and there were a bunch of gent's tying. Some using Peaks, some Griffins, some Renzetti's, and a bunch of Regals.

One of the old timers was tying on a #32 hook. Way out of my league! There were tons of tying supplies, most priced reasonably, but I only walked out with a few Ocean City conventional reels for
5 bucks each! Same guy every year usually has about a dozen or so misc reels. This time I at least gave him my card.

One of the guys made absolutely sure I understood what an articulating fly was. Some pretty amazing talent and lots to be learned.

................Lou

Lou,
articulating fly? wow, I had to look it up. that would be like a jointed rapala!

So basically it is a tandem fly?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

STRIPER LOU

Yup, spot on. There was some serious talent there and I try to make it every year!

................Lou

jurelometer

There is no keeper of fly tying terminology, but my understanding is...

Tandem fly:

One of several arrangements where two hooks are involved.   Sometimes with entirely separate flies (sort of like a dropper loop setup).   Sometimes the connecting leader is integrated into the flies.   For saltwater, it usually means a single fly pattern that uses two hooks.

Articulated fly:

A fly pattern tied to multiple articulating shanks, almost always with a single hook.  A typical articulated fly has a standard hook at the front with one or more trailing hookless shanks looped together in a chain.  The material is tied to the hook and the trailing shanks.  A classic is the articulated bunny leech.   But there are also multi-jointed flies that look a lot like the freshwater bass plugs.   

-J

STRIPER LOU

Hey J, your probably more than right. He went round in circles until even I was cornfused!

It was a jointed fly so to speak, one hook, hackle on both sides. First part tied on spring wire. Actually other than his workmanship which was great, ... I had little interest as for my type of fishing it would be destroyed immediately.

Thanks for the clarity and have a great evening,  ..  Lou

steelhead_killer

I have used my old trusty HMH vice for many years...no complaints ever...
><)))">

Gfish

Try'n get a unit that has jaws that can be sold separately as a replaceable part.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Well I just read through this, Great Post, thanks to all that have contributed, learning all the time,  cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Ron Jones

I have a Renzetti traveler with the standard and saltwater vise. I have tied a few dozen flies but not anywhere near as many as I'd thought I would by now.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

wfjord

I've been using a Dyna-King for many years --a very good, solid vice. No complaints, but I've been looking around at some different nice rotary vices with greater functional options.

steelhead_killer

I have used this for many years with no issues.

http://tyingvise.com/product/hmh-st-vise/

Andy
><)))">

jurelometer

Quote from: wfjord on April 13, 2020, 08:44:54 PM
I've been using a Dyna-King for many years --a very good, solid vice. No complaints, but I've been looking around at some different nice rotary vices with greater functional options.

Dyna-king makes a rotary.   I like mine.  But not sure they are worth the current asking price.   There has to be a better deal out there.

Once you go rotary, you will never go back :)

-J

wfjord

Quote from: jurelometer on April 14, 2020, 07:25:57 AM
Quote from: wfjord on April 13, 2020, 08:44:54 PM

Dyna-king makes a rotary.   I like mine.  But not sure they are worth the current asking price.   There has to be a better deal out there.

Once you go rotary, you will never go back :)

-J

I agree, j.  There are good rotary vices out there for way less. I could make most any of them work as long as the jaws stayed strong and hard, but I usually research stuff to the extreme before I purchase.  My Dyna-King is indestructible and it's more of a travel vise that fits well in a tying box I built to carry in the trunk of my car.  But I'm getting old and don't like to lug tying stuff around any more.  I'd rather just do all my tying at home --and when I feel lazy, which happens increasingly often, I'll just pick up a few at a local fly shop (OTOH I'm very picky about tying my own streamers for stripers and it's taken me a lot of years to evolve a pattern that's landed me the most good fish).

I lost two boxes of flies on one of the local rivers here during one summer about 10 years ago. One of them, a floating foam box, was packed with probably 250 to 300 nymphs I tied. Not long after that I lost my dry fly box containing less than that, but still a lot.  After that I quit trying to maintain such heavily stocked boxes and now only tie a few at a time of what I really need. I do like to be creative with flies and a new vice might renew my incentive.