alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Fly tying vise
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 22, 2018, 10:41:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fly tying vise  (Read 2113 times)
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »

A lot of the pro's here at the shows tie on Renzetti's. They're more suitable for the smaller flies.

I love going to all the seminars and seeing the old timers tie. Some of them are truly artist and one can learn a lot from them. I'm always amazed when the tie the tiniest of flies with no effort at all!

.........................Lou
Tbrom

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »

I am a little late on the reply but I love my Peak. You can pick them up very reasonably also.

* image.jpeg (39.52 KB, 960x720 - viewed 16 times.)
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »

Those are a good value. I was at the HFFA this morning and there were a bunch of gent's tying. Some using Peaks, some Griffins, some Renzetti's, and a bunch of Regals.

One of the old timers was tying on a #32 hook. Way out of my league! There were tons of tying supplies, most priced reasonably, but I only walked out with a few Ocean City conventional reels for
5 bucks each! Same guy every year usually has about a dozen or so misc reels. This time I at least gave him my card.

One of the guys made absolutely sure I understood what an articulating fly was. Some pretty amazing talent and lots to be learned.

................Lou

Gobi King
Firearms Group

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 06:44:56 AM »

Those are a good value. I was at the HFFA this morning and there were a bunch of gent's tying. Some using Peaks, some Griffins, some Renzetti's, and a bunch of Regals.

One of the old timers was tying on a #32 hook. Way out of my league! There were tons of tying supplies, most priced reasonably, but I only walked out with a few Ocean City conventional reels for
5 bucks each! Same guy every year usually has about a dozen or so misc reels. This time I at least gave him my card.

One of the guys made absolutely sure I understood what an articulating fly was. Some pretty amazing talent and lots to be learned.

................Lou

Lou,
articulating fly? wow, I had to look it up. that would be like a jointed rapala!

So basically it is a tandem fly?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2018, 08:07:32 AM »

Yup, spot on. There was some serious talent there and I try to make it every year!

................Lou
jurelometer

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2018, 03:44:05 PM »

There is no keeper of fly tying terminology, but my understanding is...

Tandem fly:

One of several arrangements where two hooks are involved.   Sometimes with entirely separate flies (sort of like a dropper loop setup).   Sometimes the connecting leader is integrated into the flies.   For saltwater, it usually means a single fly pattern that uses two hooks.

Articulated fly:

A fly pattern tied to multiple articulating shanks, almost always with a single hook.  A typical articulated fly has a standard hook at the front with one or more trailing hookless shanks looped together in a chain.  The material is tied to the hook and the trailing shanks.  A classic is the articulated bunny leech.   But there are also multi-jointed flies that look a lot like the freshwater bass plugs.   

-J
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »

Hey J, your probably more than right. He went round in circles until even I was cornfused!

It was a jointed fly so to speak, one hook, hackle on both sides. First part tied on spring wire. Actually other than his workmanship which was great, ... I had little interest as for my type of fishing it would be destroyed immediately.

Thanks for the clarity and have a great evening,  ..  Lou
steelhead_killer

Andy

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »

I have used my old trusty HMH vice for many years...no complaints ever...

><)))">
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2018, 06:25:11 PM »

Try'n get a unit that has jaws that can be sold separately as a replaceable part.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: