What's a good price for these Newell reels?

Started by Fish67, February 21, 2018, 07:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish67

Gents/ladies - what's a good price for these reels below and any feedback about them would be great? I'm thinking of picking up the 220, but may end up with 229 or 332 for more line capacity. Thanks everyone!

S220-5
S229-5
S332-5

Bryan Young

Depending on the construction, Long screws vs short screws. Short
Screw will fetch about $25-$50 more. So I'd say the 220 should go for about $100-$150ish, the 229 about the same. Maybe $25 less, and the 332 for about $25-$50 more than the 220.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Fish67

Thanks guys. Wish I could purchase the "blackie", but it's out of my price range. I have the opportunity to buy all 3 models mentioned, but I will only buy one. I've made my mind on the 220. The price is what you've stated, Bryan. I'm not sure if this a short or long screw. The seller will shoot me a pic of the internals tonight. I'm assuming it will be a longer screw since it's the S series? I've read some where it states the S series have the bolts going through the frame.

I'm planning on using this reel. It's not going to be a display model so I want to make sure I'm making a good purchase.   ;D

Swami805

Look for 2 bearing cups, one on each side and it should be short screws. They made the "S" both ways. That blackie is way over priced, they are generally the lowest priced of the newells. A S220 with 2 bearing cups is a nice reel, Like Bryan said 100-125 is about right.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hamachi

Those aren't good prices, those are regular prices. $60-80 are "good" prices. Just sayin'
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Fish67

Thanks gentlemen. Well, am sad to say I'm back on the hunt. The seller said he was going to send me pics of the internals, but no pics. Ive contacted the seller, but no response. I may just build a jigmaster 501. Will keep looking. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

SoCalAngler

The Newell pricing really depends on where you live and the demand for those reels. Here in So Cal I'm sure people pay more for them because they are more sought after more than in other places.

Model styles like P's, G's, C's and such have a big impact in price as does the condition of the reel. Not just how the reel looks from the outside but is the lettering on the reel clear. Scratches, dings, scrapes will reduce price. Also you really don't have to look fully inside of a reel to get a feel on whats going on inside. Removal of the outer stainless rings can give you an idea of what may going on inside of the reel. Of course that is if the reel functions and feels well. Don't be surprised if you remove one or both outer rings and find some rust. That's just how used Newell's are, no big surprises there. But, if it looks like the rust on the inside of the rings are just about to eat through the stainless steel, watch out as you most likely will never find a ring on one side let alone both, so if keeping it stock is what you want to do that reel may not be for you. Also look out for rings that have cracks in the screw holes, this usually means someone over cranked down the screws cracking the rings, usually some one not to familiar with these reels.

Some of this stuff can be over looked if your adding a frame, aftermarket side plates and such. But if your looking to go stock, like me, to keep the reel looking like it came out of the box, after market stuff just doesn't work. Not to say if you have one of these reels that needs a part or two and you go with the after market stuff I get it. But, for me a whole makeover of these reels lessens what they are.

Here is some pic's of my Penn Monifil #27 with a Newell spool and upgraded handle with the stock 3:1 gear next to my Newell G220-F. I fish the Newell way more than the Monofil.

I did buy my adult son a Newell C220-F for $100 which seems like a lot for the money for that reel, but it was BNIB with paper work and tool. Sorry no pic of that reel because it is his.

Fish67

Thanks Socalangler. My intentions was not to modify the reel on the out side, maybe the knob and handle only. I'll probably update the drag and that's it. I plan on putting it to use.

SoCalAngler

Yes drags are a good place to start. I upgraded to carbontex in my reel another thing that may need to be replaced are the bearings but those are easy to find just as the drags are