Main Menu

uv glue

Started by Eddie Hernandez, February 21, 2018, 09:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails John? They guys here wipe it out at Walmart! You cant even find it locally anymore.

..................Lou

thorhammer

Lou that's one our companies products. The SH Gel UV cure was one of my personal projects.  hard as nails is exactly what I use on bucktails.

STRIPER LOU

Neat John,  Excellent work and its really great stuff. Once in a while I can find it at Walgreens but the 24 hr  Walmart  is sold out of it most of the time.

Do you like to thin it with lacquer thinner or do you prefer something else? I actually think it better than most of the head cements I use.

Thanks,  ..  Lou

gstours

24 hr Walmart????   are you guys kidding????  Tel me theres a need for 24 hr,  almost anything?????  Might be wrong too? ???

Gobi King

Lou/John
Sally Hansen's nail polish can be found at the nail polish aisle at wallys?

I asking cuz I want to paint some of my jig heads.

Thanks,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

thorhammer

Lou, I just use it neat.  Acetone will also thin the ethyl acetate base very well also; it's what is used to clean nail polish filling lines. You should be able to find HAS or any clear-coat at Wally, CVS, Walgreens, etc., basically any drug store. Don't waste money buying some higher stuff...for this application they are all similar. Artificial nail glue is also an option...its basically a cyanoacrylate (like crazy glue) but in a bottle with brush. It also doubles as a Skin-Shield type liquid bandage as well for small cuts. I used to make that too. Works just fine, same nitrocellulose to seal wound only doesn't have the diphenhydramine HCL as astringent.

Gary, the color polishes (non-UV gel cure, regular polish) are also ethyl acetate-based. called nail lacquer for a reason, basically paint.

STRIPER LOU

Thanks John, I have both Acetone and Lacquer thinner and was wondering which was best.

Yes Gobi, as John said Wall'y, walgreens, etc. Lots of fly tiers around here so our Walmart sells out quickly.

..................Lou

Tiddlerbasher

If nail varnish is your thing Acetone is your thinners ;)

Gobi King

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on March 07, 2018, 10:26:47 PM
Thanks John, I have both Acetone and Lacquer thinner and was wondering which was best.

Yes Gobi, as John said Wall'y, walgreens, etc. Lots of fly tiers around here so our Walmart sells out quickly.

..................Lou

Lou,
Thanks, I found the colors I needed, I could not find any glow in the dark ones though.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

STRIPER LOU

Chris,

I use to buy head cement 12 in a box. Unfortunately it goes kinda south after a year or so and somtimes I have to throw a few away.

Its easy for me to run to Walmart and pick up some Sally's until I get and order from my regular supplier. I've thinned it both with acetone and lacquer thinner and figured one of you gents cud tell me
what's better to use.

Got a chance to see those panel LED's from Home Depot. Very nice. Not cheap but my area over the lathe and mill could definitely use a set.

Thanks for the info, most appreciated,  ..  Lou

Tiddlerbasher

The led panels are usually available off Ebay - Just did a quick check they are a lot more expensive over your side of the pond. A 4x1 panel costs £20-30 from a regular lighting shop I've used. Even cheaper off Ebay, particularly the 2x2 office type drop in panels. I'm guessing they are all made in PRC :-\ I suppose it comes down to the mark up value.
The store I've been using is this one, they only do led panel stuff:
https://www.ledpanelstore.co.uk
They aren't the cheapest but I've had good service and they give a 5yr warranty. I don't know what there shipping rates are like to the US.

For your head cement I would think acetone is the solvent - should be able to tell from the smell of a fresh bottle. When trying to rejuvenate old bottles it can take a week or two to soften the really hard stuff.

STRIPER LOU

Thanks Chris, I'll check ebay.

I don't bother with the cement it when it starts to gel up. When your selling retail it just doesn't pay. Not worth taking a chance with something that may cause a problem.

Funny thing is some guys will by a fly made in china for $3.99 and if it falls apart after a few cast's, they throw it away. They'll use mine for a season and catch a bunch of fish on it, and if it starts to fall apart they want a new one.
I charge $5.00. Go figure.
Just got in from snowblowing and we got close to a foot and a half! I'm beat!

have a great day,  ..  Lou

Tiddlerbasher

Lou that's because they expect your flies to last forever ;D