Penn 80-SW 2 Speed

Started by Rivverrat, February 22, 2018, 07:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Can some one fill me in on the 80-SW 2 Speed. Like the line capacity & drag performance.  

Hows the shift assembly hold up on these ?

Any known issues ? Outside of stuff seen from lack of maintenance ?

Also it looks like theses spools are more than thick enough for whats needed. Any one mill one out to make it lighter & gain a little more capacity ?

... Jeff    

alantani

cal sheets would know.  i'll bet if you call him, he'd be able to tell you off the top of his head!  http://www.cals2speed.com/
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

About a thousand of 80 mono as I recall with a modern line (thinner).  No idea about milling one.  I don't want to reel in a thousand as it is. 

Rivverrat

These reels have some things I like vs the newer ones. Then there is the overall "Very Cool Factor" thing, they possess.

A retired, wealthy friend who fishes all over the world has offered to take me along with he & his wife on one of his extended adventures. He says someone like myself makes him feel safe.
When I told him there was stuff he could take for that.... Well.... lets just say he showed no appreciation for my humor... Jeff

thorhammer

I use an 80T with 200lb  braid and 150 lb mono bridle leader for a high-speed planer reel. It's pretty beastly.

Rivverrat

I just cant see buying a new one. These seem very capable for what I want. Mainly sharking off the beach... Jeff

steelfish

those a beast of reels Jeff

I have a 50s 2-speed that I put 200lb I really dont know how much line I fit there but at least 250yds, plenty for going after a big grouper or shark from a boat, havent use it yet, tho.
according to our international expert resident, the shift assembly is much better and holds lots more than the modern shifter on the next international models.

too big for my normal fishing trips, but at least I have it for when the opportunity knocks on my door.

The Baja Guy

bill19803

seems  to   me  that years  ago  i  got   960 yards  of  moi moi   80  on   80   stw. Thats  just  to  give   you   something  to  go buy     and i lost all  that line   to one  fish in  one  long   sustained   run  in Hudson canyon

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on February 22, 2018, 09:05:59 PM
those a beast of reels  

It's for only one purpose. From what I'm seeing it will do this fine... Jeff

FatTuna

Recently the VSX reels were selling super cheap. Might still be able to get a deal on one brand new. I believe they were selling around $500.

Personally, I like the 80STW best when it comes to the vintage Penns. Not sure I've ever serviced the 80SW though. Can't remember.

I've bought good condition 80STWs for as low $350 used online. If you hold out, you should be able to find a good price on one.