Estate Sale Penns

Started by Long Enuff, February 22, 2018, 02:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Enuff

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I recently picked up a dozen assorted Penn reels from an estate sale through an old childhood friend. John (ThorHammer) suggested that I start a new thread to document what I have now and where it goes. Some of the reels are pretty nasty, of course the Blackie is the worst. However they all function, clickers, drags somewhat, free spool etc. Only one missing part, a plate screw on one of the 4/0's. Amazingly, none of the trim rings are cracked; I hope it stays that way. My first plans are just to disassemble and clean, lube etc, and keep stock. I may pick out the best 4/0 to hot rod later.  We shall see.

Blackie 114H on the left, three 6/0 Senators on the right.  Two have wire line.

On the left a 4/0 Senator, three on the right are 113H Senators

On the left, a Long Beach 68, 112H Senator, Peer 109, and Peer 309

Feel free to offer up any tips or suggestions.

Bill

thorhammer

Bill, that's some good work to sink your teeth into. When I do something like this (yesterday as it happens), here's what I do (basic stuff but for me it makes it flow and I don't lose track of what is what which is easy to do.

I use plastic 64 oz detergent containers with the snap lids, but any container will do:

First pail  is simple greem 50/50 water, disassemble first reel and chuck in. after a day, i pour whole contents through a metal straining basket i got at wallyworld. I then rinse the whole basket fresh water either with a sprayer or you can immerse in rinse bucket but i prefer spray. you need to degrease prior to step two or the vinegar wont get  to the corrosion

Second pail is white vinegar, I don't usually cut it and let it sit about 12-24 hours. i don't do this with aluminum...it doesn't end well. Your Penns will do fine.

Rinse as above and lay out on trays on paper towels or shop rag to keep parts from bouncing.

All this is basic stuff, here's where you have a choice to make with multiples of same models: you can do one at the time and put each back together as it was, with new drags or other parts as you wish, OR:

What I would do: group the similar reels (the three 113H's for instance) and clean all parts as above. Lay all out and work your way through reassembly, cherry-picking parts to build the best one you can, then second best, then the third as the ugly duckling. The ones you have very likely have steel mains and maybe other chrome inside, so bear in mind if you are going to hot rod later (like a full Cortex conversion) you may wish to keep the best guts in the ugly ducking as your future donor for the hotrod. Then, you end up with a custom reel and the two best stockers you could compile, and the most beastly plates, rings etc. can be drawered. Note: if you hotrod those with new plates you will need a sleeve spacer, I believe yours have externally accessible drags with a top hat washer. ( I have done your exact drill on several yard-saler 113h's at once, and am in process of doing same with eight Penn 9's).

If you have the space clean up all reels and take stock of all the parts you will need to place one order, as several of the reels may share drag washers, screws, etc. That way you don't pay shipping 3X to get the same $1.75 washer.

Main thing is, go slow or as fast as you are comfortable with and don't mix up parts from different reels. just because that pinion slides on the spool lug doesn't mean it will work when assembled. Ask me how i know. You might benefit from keeping mains and pinions paired also, just put a small cable tie through them.

my 0.02.

Long Enuff

Bill B

Sage advice from a master.......Good group of reels brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Long Enuff

Started today with the smallest Senator the 112H. Disassembled and cleaned, noted it needs a set of drag washers.  The old ones were shot, glazed and cracked, metals were nasty too.  The main gear is steel, I like that. After cleaning and vinegar soaking, I polished it up a bit and doesn't look bad. I am going with John's suggestion and break them all down before ordering parts. Scotts is really convenient because can create a wish list and just keep adding to it. Bagged up the small parts in zip lock bags and put everything in a Glad container until I start putting them back together.

Nasty brown grease inside

Cleaned up better than I thought

Bagged and ready to be put up for now.

Long Enuff

I have been through two of the 113H reels, both about in the same condition, both with external drag access.  They each have steel mains, three thick asbestos drag washers, and almost no grease. I will be replacing with a HT 100 drag kit in both.

The first one:

Almost no grease anywhere, none on the inside of the spool, clicker and very little on gears. Both spring washers on the drag stack were directly under the top hat with nothing between the star and top hat washer.

This one is cleaned, bagged and put away for now.

The second one:

Again, very little grease anywhere, but lots of sand in the the non handle side end plate

Steel main gear, thick asbestos drag washers stuck to metal washers. This time both spring washers were between the star and top hat with no spring washer under the top hat washer.  I assume one spring washer should go between the star and top hat washer, and the other should go on top of the drag stack?

Bill

Long Enuff

The third 113H had a couple of unique features the other two did not: an oiler for the eccentric lever instead of a screw and a leather friction pad for thumbing the spool.

Friction pad

Eccentric lever oiler

It was also the nastiest, inside was caked with a very sticky dried up black grease. The spool bearings were very stiff with grease residue but soaking in Corrosion X loosened then right up. Steel main gear and three thick asbestos washers as well.

Long Enuff

The last of the 4/0 reels was a standard black 113 Senator.

Nothing special inside, other than little grease and the first friction washer in the drag stack was a Delrin washer. However the other two were thick asbestos.

Bill

handi2

You've been mighty busy..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Long Enuff

Handi, the yard work has been neglected, but ordered parts for those five today. Tomorrow start breaking down the 6/0's.  The Blackie first since it was the nastiest.

Alto Mare

A good way to keep busy Bill. vinegar is great, but you will need to get yourself some additional stuff we talk about here to cut the dried up grease.
Enjoy those,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Long Enuff

Thanks for the tips Sal. Definitely been using the white vinegar.  For the grease, I have been using mineral spirits and WD-40. They seem to do a good job as well.  This morning I started on my favorite reel of the lot, a 114H Blackie.  Of course it has the most corrosion, but we will see how it turns out.  Steel main gear and thick drag washers like the others.

Too much green stuff!

New drag stack on the way. I do have some available rings, stand and such if needed.

Long Enuff

Finished up breaking down and cleaning the 114 Senators; two black handled ones like this with bronze main gears:

and a honey colored handle one with a steel main gear:

As luck would have it, the heads on two stand screws snapped off on left side, but they weren't too difficult to get out.

When the parts get here, I will start putting these back together.

Bill

thorhammer

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on February 22, 2018, 09:47:51 PM
Sage advice from a master.......Good group of reels brother....Bill

I got a kick out this, as I spent two hours on one Penn 9 and the levelwind still isn't meshing properly. may be a piece of 109 in there somewhere I cant see well enough.

Long Enuff

The first of the non Senator reels, a long Beach 68. The yellow knob on the handle would not budge.  Some Corrosion X, a little heat, some gentle tapping, repeat several times and it started to move. Continue the process, and it spins freely now.

The usual procedure before the TLC begins:

Old reels bring out the patience in those of us who otherwise wouldn't have it.  The steel gears are as smooth as silk. The first one of the collection to be completed.  Eleven more to finish.

Bill