Estate Sale Penns

Started by Long Enuff, February 22, 2018, 02:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl L

Thor, you said to use simple green first, then vinegar ?? I never have, that's the reason for this question.. I have dissassembled, soaked in vinegar, but never more than 2.5 hours. Is the simple green just for de-greasing or something else? Also, after vinegar, i just rinsed with warm, then cold water.. should I be using baking soda to neutralize the acetic 'vinegar' acid  ?

thorhammer

Yes. Point being, if there is a bunch of grease over corrosion, the vinegar  being aqueous will not penetrate and do its job..due to the grease doing its job. I don't neutralize but rinse with plenty of fresh water, dry, and lube and wipe down everything for reassembly.

Carl L

Thanks for clarification..

Long Enuff

Half way done, only six more reels to go!

Bill

thorhammer

Bill B

Good progress on the collection of reels....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Solid work, Bill!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

I'm changing my name to Bill. they seem to be the ones falling into some sweet collections lately :)

Bill B

Quote from: thorhammer on March 02, 2018, 09:24:47 PM
I'm changing my name to Bill. they seem to be the ones falling into some sweet collections lately :)

John we can admit you as an honorary member of the "Bill Club" but that means you will be hosting the next club meeting at your lake house 😜  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Long Enuff

QuoteJohn we can admit you as an honorary member of the "Bill Club" but that means you will be hosting the next club meeting at your lake house 😜  Bill

I will approve.  Of course you have to start out as a "Billy" and move up through the ranks to "Bill."

Bill

Long Enuff

Well, I think I am finished , at least for now.  There are still a couple of things that I want to fix, but that can come later. Just a look back at what I started with and how it turned out.  

First the 6/0's in all of their grimy glory.

They cleaned up well, for the most part. I still need to find a decent spool for the black 114H. It had wire line on it along one of the other 114's and both had heavy chrome loss and corrosion on the sides of the spools. I put all new drags in all of them and replaced some of the rings, the stand and a new old stock handle (red) on the 114H.

Next the 4/0's before:

And after. Again all drags replaced, under gear washer and that was about it. Most of the these reels had the steel main gear and it is incredible how smooth they still are. The drags on these tested in the mid 20's at the reel.

The others: LongBeach 68, 112H, Peer 109, and Peer 309 before:

And after.  Still kept with the plan and changed all the drags. The 109 was a tiny little thing and no clutch either.  I wasn't used to that, but it was smooth as silk when done.  Because it was so small, I mixed the blue Penn grease with Corrosion X to thin it out a bit and made grease soup.

It was fun, but I am glad to take a break for now.  

Lessons learned:  
1. Quit when you have had enough and take a break.
2. Keep it organized with a method that makes sense to you.  I kept all of the parts for each reel separate after cleaning, zip lock snack bags helped keep the small parts of similar groups together and then put all parts for each reel in a separate  64 oz. storage container.
3. Cherry pick the parts at assembly to build the best reel, the next best and an ugly duckling. An excellent tip from John by the way.
4.  No matter how hard you try you will have a mistake or two, like putting the inner ring on the outside of a 112H and wondering why the screws won't go all the way in?  Oops,  they  aren't counter sunk.
5.. Without the information available on this site, I wouldn't have had a clue where to even start.

Until next time,

Bill

Long Enuff

Turned one of the 4/0 Special Senators into a Tiburon Narrow (YTS).  Think I will keep this one.

Narrower, lighter, stronger and hopefully, better than where she came from.

Ron Jones

That YTS needs a clamp!
Looks nice, 20#s of drag will be plenty, have fun!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Donnyboat

Good score Bill, you have brought those reels back to life, they look great, use the untidy reels to fish with, & save the really nice reels for showing or selling, now to catch a few good fish, will give you real satisfaction, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

bhale1

Bill,
Great job , I have to say that whatever method you used for that many re-build was time well spent.....
Now pick one or two of your favorites and go fishing 🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟
Brett