Estate Sale Penns

Started by Long Enuff, February 22, 2018, 02:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Bill, love seeing that YTS again! My go-to for striper popping is a 550SS and i drilled out the torpedo and installed an EVA knob. You could do the same or an aftermarket aluminum ball handle (I have used a bunch of those too). sometimes you can find SS aftermarket handles (full assembly) on the bay with aluminum ball knobs. they are a nice upgrade.

Long Enuff

John, I have seen a few of those upgrade handles on Ebay lately. BTW, you should have that reel tomorrow or Monday.

ChileRelleno

I had not seen much less read through this thread.

Wow, talk about TLC, patience and a little money yielding results.
Very nice work indeed.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

thorhammer

Bill, received. thanks ! 

Long Enuff

I was looking forward to completing round two and only had a couple more left, but it wasn't meant to be. While at my Mom's 90th birthday/Mother's Day celebration I was chatting with one of the neighbors. He was an older retired judge who used to fish frequently but no longer did. The topic got around to modern versus older generation reels and told him I enjoyed working on and bringing forgotten reels back to life. He said he had a box of Penn reels across the street that he would be happy for me to tinker with. Of course I was happy to oblige and even offered to pay him, but he would have none of that. In the box, a 209, two 9's and a 109. The best part is they will need very little work.

Bill B

Bill you just seem to be falling into large lots of reels,  good to see them going to a Great Home for a clean up and restoration.  Just hope you don't fall into a box of hooks  ;D.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Long Enuff

Bill, it was fun and they are all finished and off to new homes, except for the three that I kept. Didn't fall into any hooks, but had to sort through quite a few. The last four, done and done:

Bill

Long Enuff

I thought I was finished, but the wind has been crazy and the YTS that was made from this lot was begging for some internal upgrades. ThorHammer has always been partial to this reel, and since he is slowing down to fish more, here is another look.

Where I started:

Where I left off:

Internal Upgrades; stainless steel Pro Challenger 4 to 1 gears, SS yoke, SS 10 tooth gear sleeve, and SS double dog bridge:

The old brass single dog gear sleeve and bridge, compared to the new one.  The ten teeth instead of eight should cut out most of the back play.

All reassembled and ready to to fish, if the wind will quit!

Alto Mare

That's a heck of an upgrade, you went all the way...good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RamseyReelRepair

Nice work! Where did you get the upgraded body?

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Long Enuff

West, the solid aluminum frame and spool came from Tiburon Engineering.

https://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/penn-reels-and-newell-reels

thorhammer

That's fantastic Bill!!! love it!

John