Mitchell Garcia 408

Started by Swami805, February 23, 2018, 02:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Greetings I found this little spinning reel in a box of gear from my father in law. It's pretty grimy and if the little label is correct it hasn't seen a service since 1970. There's some corrosion on the bail arm and roller. Never fooled with a spinning reel and couldn't find much on here about it but from what I see it's very similar to a 308 but higher speed?  Is there a tutorial that would be helpful? I have cf drag washers and the right lubes. It seems to work but everything is stiff like the grease has dried up. Looks like a nice little reel but everything is so small. Anything to watch out for when I open it? I saw a thread about the bearings coming apart and hoping to avoid that. Thanks sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

swill88

Like the red high speed sticker :)

Nice reel.

thorhammer

Fred will know all about it.  I have a couple 408s, very nice little reels.

Swami805

Opened up the side plate. Yikes!!!  Other than the peanut butter pretty clean. Yup waiting for Fred sounds like the plan

foakes

The 408's are like you said, Sheridan —

High speed 1:5, dark blue instead of black like the 308's.

If you do not have a schematic, I can post one.

Remove the tiny keeper screw locking in the bearing assembly — do not unscrew the bearing assembly.

Clean the bearing assembly with lacquer thinner, dry it out, lube with TSI321 or CorrosionX.

When assembling the internals, just use and mix TSI321 with 1/3 grease like Yamaha Marine, SuperLube, or Penn.  Light lube is all you need on these.

This reel has never been serviced or cracked open, IMO.  Nice example, and a valuable reel.

Do not soak the body, sideplate, and rotor in anything except Dawn Dish soap & hot water — no simple green, it will dull the paint.

On the aluminum parts, chrome parts, brass parts, lacquer thinner is OK, and effective.

On all plastics like crank knob, spool parts, etc — only Dawn.

If there is anything you might need, just let me know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

A schematic would be helpful when you get a minute, I can print it at work tomorrow. I wiped it down with a soft cloth and corrosionX and some simichrome on the metal parts and it clean up nicely. I put a few drops of tsi321 on the spool shaft and cranked it for awhile and it's smoothed out . The only thing that isn't working right is the bail trip doesn't move to hold the bail open. I'll get it apart this weekend. Thanks a million Fred, Sheridan

Midway Tommy

Can't tell what your spool is but if it's the shallow spool you probably only have one drag washer. It's teflon and between the spool and spool insert (285). If it's a deep spool it should have two drag washers, the same teflon as the shallow (285) and a fiber washer under the drag knob & spring (283). The fiber one would be the only one you might want to change to CF. The teflon washers should probably stay as is if they are in good condition.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Swami805

Thanks Tommy, it's the shallow spool and the teflon washer looks fine other than some dried grease on it, I'll re-use it. I think I'll try and get a deeper spool, Are all the 308/408 spools interchangeable? Thanks for the schematic, Sheridan

Swami805

Here's a picture of the lever that holders the bail open  it doesn't move into place to hold the bail open and won't go all the way into the slot in the bail wire. Does it look like it's installed correctly?

Gfish

That projecting part on the top (in the pic.) of the bail trip mechanism(296) should be sticking into the  round rotor nut(298) under spring pressure when you flip the bail open. If it's not moving the spring is locked down or the bail trip mechanism is.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

The spring appears to be installed correctly. As Greg indicated, check the coil under the screw head and make sure the wire isn't caught and creating a bind. All you have to do is loosen the screw a couple of turns, adjust the coil and tighten the screw back making sure the arm moves freely. While you have the screw loose check to make sure that little trip arm moves & pivots freely and not hitting the trip block when opening the bail. Open the bail down, not upwards, otherwise movement can be blocked by the stud/block.

Yes, all of that style 308/408 spools are interchangeable, including the white/light gray ones.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

If you don't have a deep spool, Sheridan —

Don't buy one — I will send one along in the box when I return your Quick 275 in a few days.

It is good to have an extra spooled up spool — but personally, I prefer the shallow spool.

Holds 120 yards of 4# mono.  For trout, bass, etc. — I never ever see the last 50 yards on a shallow spool — let alone the last 165 yards on a deep spool.  Just a waste of line.  Plus, I have removed and tossed away the line from hundreds of deep spool Mitchells — just to realize that the last 2/3rds of the line has never touched water.

Drags might be the only thing — but the factory drag on a shallow is perfectly adequate — plus either drag system can be upgraded to lightly greased CF, if desired.

I do like a smooth, fully adjustable drag range — this is one of the most overlooked aspects of these quality Microlite reels.  The fun is working 1/2 to 10 pound fish with a fully adjustable drag —and learning how to control the fish capably with the rod — as well as the drag.  The reel just retrieves line.

IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

Thanks for the help, still can't get that lever to work. Something isn't right, maybe the position of one of the spring ends? A picture of one that works would help when someone gets a minute. Thanks Sheridan

festus

Quote from: Swami805 on February 23, 2018, 02:41:32 AM
  Is there a tutorial that would be helpful?
This 308 tutorial might help. 

Swami805

Thanks Fetus, that's helpful, the spring looks right in mine,hmmm. Somehow it's not putting any pressure on the lever to move it when I open the bail.