President's Day Week Fishing Report

Started by Tightlines667, February 23, 2018, 05:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Thanks for the ride Captain John - be safe out there :)

Tightlines667

A father who was visiting his son in Ewa Beach contacted me through BD on Friday.  He was hoping I could take the two of them out fishing this weekend, before he had to return to Pennsylvania and await the spring Striper bite.  I fuel, and iced up the boat, and had them meet me at the dock at 0530hrs.  We left the dock at 0600hrs and I plugged in the numbers on the GPS, and let them drive the boat while I rigged up a dozen dinks.  Arrived on scene around 0645, and I set out a 5 bait spread.  We worked the area for 3 hours with no signs of life, and upon reviewing the temperature map and talking with my buddy Jay, who was fishing the same area, decided on a plan for the rest of the day.  I decided to turn SW and run to the HH bouy/1000fa ledge, while Jay turned SE and fished the Penguin Banks.  

Jay found plenty of life on the banks and ended up having a day similar to my last one.  He ran into nonstop action on small Mahi, but only managed to land 4 fish while taking 20 hits on Ballyhoo.  He ran outta baits, and didn't take a hit on his artificials on the run home.  

Most of the other boats in the area were working the ledge, and bouys, but none of us (at leaat from what I heard over the radio) found any fish.  1 boat lost a Striped Marlin and caught a small Mahi, 1 caught 1 small Mahi, and the others, like us, didn't get a hit.  Once I got within 8nm of port, I switched to the 5-7" Polu Kai spread, and almost immediately took a hit on the short corner.  I cleared lines, while the father drove the boat, and the son caught the fish.  Brought a nice 18lb cow to gaff in about 10 minutes.  We worked the area for another hour with no bites, and we're back at the dock at 400pm.  I burned about 22 gals for the 10hr day, and decided to drop the fish on the block.

I've got the boat all buttoned up now, cause I am heading to the Big Island on Tuesday morning for a week of Turkey Hunting.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

Love reading your posts about your fishing & especially about your boat !  ... Jeff

STRIPER LOU

Well done again Cappy.

Gee'z that boat is fuel efficient! What  is your comfortable cruising speed and RPM's?

Going to R.I. in a couple of days. One of my friends has a line on a Fortier he's interested in. I've got to go check it out, ... its my second favorite boat!

Have a great day,  ..  Lou

Tightlines667

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on February 25, 2018, 09:27:08 PM
Well done again Cappy.

Gee'z that boat is fuel efficient! What  is your comfortable cruising speed and RPM's?

Going to R.I. in a couple of days. One of my friends has a line on a Fortier he's interested in. I've got to go check it out, ... its my second favorite boat!

Have a great day,  ..  Lou

The 290HP Yanmar paired with a 19×17 3 blade prop, and a ZF 1.5:1 gives me:
-4.5knots @1000rpm 1.0GPH
-6.5knots @1500rpm 1.5GPH
-8.5knots @2000rpm maybe 2GPH
-10.5knots @2500rpm maybe 3GPH
-14.5knots @3100rpm maybe 4GPH

It really should have a smaller pitched prop, maybe a 17X17 so I can get 3600rpm and a few more knots on the top end.  I may need to have an apaptor built for a new prop, since my prop shaft is 1 3/8" diameter, rather then the more commonly found 1.5".

I typically troll between 1500rpm and 2000rpm, but when conditions warrant, and I want to cover some ground, I troll marlin lures accross the open water or between spots at 2400-2700rpms.

John
Hope springs eternal

STRIPER LOU

Terrific John, those Yanmar's are sweet. My outboard burns more than that!!!

Thanks',  ..  Lou

Tightlines667

A few more pics...
Hope springs eternal