Which Penn greenie model is this?

Started by jason_purdy, February 24, 2018, 12:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason_purdy

I got a package in the mail from a friend. I open it up to find an old greenie, missing the emblem, and retrofitted with a newer drag knob. So I'll put it to the experts, what model Penn is this? I'd like to get it back to near original parts (with upgraded drag washers) and surprise him with it. Thanks in advance gents!

-Jason

George6308

712 with a 710 or 704 handle

Midway Tommy

I disagree. I have a NIB 712 with the same handle knob. I'd say it's all 712 except for a Z drag knob. The original drag knob was white.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jason_purdy

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be on the lookout for a drag knob and emblem. Cheers

-Jason

foakes

Hi Jason —

Since Scott's is out of these, I can send you a new white drag knob.

710 & 712 use the same knob.

Don't have the emblem though, just 713, 700, 704, 710.

If you can't find an emblem, just get a brass disc from a hobby store or hardware store — then take it to a trophy shop to have his name engraved on it along with the 712 label.  Would make a nice present all polished up with his name on it.

N/C if you could use the knob.

PM me your full mailing info.

It will go out Monday.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

Fred,

while, you're looking at greenie parts, what's the ballpark spool diameter (at base) for the 3 smallest sizes...  pretty sure I have the little one & 2 sizes up, somewhere

thanks

foakes

Sorry, don't know, Roman —

The spools I have are 720 sizes and larger.

Might be some smaller ones —bit no 714 or 716.

I do need a 716 and a 714 greenie for my personal use.

Someone on here will have the answers — likely Sal, Keith, or Tommy.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: philaroman on February 24, 2018, 10:05:01 PM
Fred,

while, you're looking at greenie parts, what's the ballpark spool diameter (at base) for the 3 smallest sizes...  pretty sure I have the little one & 2 sizes up, somewhere

thanks
Sorry Roman, I only have 1 green 714. The dimension on that one is1.968" or 50mm spot on.

Not sure this will help, but I do have the complete set of the Z series, well, up to the 706Z.

The 712Z...2.236"
The 713Z...same
The 714Z...1.968"
The 716Z...1.716"

Tom, the knob above is shared by other reels as well and not just the Z series.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

philaroman

oh, Man
found 2/3 spools -- not where/as remembered  ::)  & they DON'T look like Jason's spool or Fred's white knobs ???
they DO look like the silver ones peeking out of the open drawer in Fred's 3rd photo -- were there variations?
grabbed a nice clear ruler & just realized it's some weird LINE-A-FORM w/ inches divided into 15ths  >:( >:( >:(
the ####umed metric side is actually 1 & 1.5 typewriter spacing  (where's the hammer-to-head emoji?)

Fred,

best guess, w/out calipers or Penn knowledge:

• older 716 -- good Al+SS+clicker; trashed knob/drag
  • older 714 -- EXC/complete
  • 1 more, yet to be found (EXC/complete 714?)

...they'll be yours, eventually, unless you're in a hurry
(lots more to dig up for your milieu -- there's a ten-dollar word)

foakes

--------

Fred O.

oc1

Quote from: jason_purdy on February 24, 2018, 05:27:46 PM
I'll be on the lookout for a drag knob and emblem

There are a lot more greenie reels out there than there are emblems.  The "what size is this" question comes up pretty often.  We should take this opportunity to put together a complete list using the height (from base of foot to bottom of frame) and length (from butt to tip of spool release button).  For example, the 712 in the photos above would be about 4" high and 5" long.   Would we need spool or rotor width too?  Handle length too?

I have a couple and will measure them in the next few days.

-steve

Midway Tommy

George brought it to my attention and after a closer look I agree with his observation. The handle is not from a 712 unless someone purposely bent it. The handle shaft in the photo looks like it has on offset. Due to the photo angles I didn't notice that originally. The original 712 has a torpedo knob but the shaft, including my NIB, is straight. I'm not that big into Penn spinners so I'm not sure which models, but some of the larger ones had an offset handle.

Can't add anything to the diameters already up there.

Didn't know that, Sal, thanks. I only have 3 greenies and one Z, so I'm not real versed in them.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

George6308

712 & 710 use the same gear houseing. The difference is in the diameter of the rotor cup and the way the bail wire attaches: 710 has a nut on the non line roller end of the bail wire while the 712 has screws on both ends of the bail wire. That being said they have different gear sets but eighter reel can use eighter set. 700, 704, & 706 have three screws on the side plate. The 712 & 710 have only one side plate screw. 716 & 714 one side plate screw but same gear case (one is marked ultralight (716) while the 714 is marked ultrasport in the casting with raised letters (older ones) or with an insert black with red lettering) but they both have the button in the middle of the spool/drag assembly to release the spool from the rotor cup. 720/722 are even more differant from they other 1sr gen Spinfisher reels. 720 uses a bushing while the 722 has a ball bearing. Note original ball bearings were from Nice Ball Bearing which was accross the street from the Penn plant on the NW corner of Hunting Park & Alleghany Aves in Philly (plant long gone). As to handles  the handle thread for 712, 710, 704, 706, & 700 is 1/4 x28 left.  While  all handles in this larger series will fit the 712 handle hits the rotor cup on the others and the 700 only uses 700 handles as they are bent to clear the 700 rotor this is why the 710 handle has it's bend.

foakes

Great information, George —

Was the Nice Ball Bearing Company where McDonalds is now?

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

George6308

No Nice Ball Bearing was on the NW corner where Henry & Hunting Park Aves intersect behind a gas station. Both buildings long gone. McD's is on the SW corner between Hunting Park & Allenghany. It a four street intersection: Hunting Park, Alleghany, Henry Aves, & 29th St. If you remember the post with the picture of the Penn plant, the bus was on 29th.