Daiwa 3500 C SS II

Started by Scattergun2570, February 25, 2018, 02:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I was given this reel in pieces,,,guy said all the parts were there,but he didn`t know how to get it back together. I de-greased and inspected..the gears all seem to be in pretty good shape. I regreased with Yamalube cut with a bit of Corrosion-X and re assembled with the schematic online. its working..but,when the reel is held with the drag knob pointing at the sky..it makes a kind of rumbly geary?sort of..hard to explain.maybe gears not quite meshing 100% noise.."more so when the spool is traveling downward" ..when you reel when its parallel to the ground, its much quieter.

This is a link to the schematic...http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/spinning/SS2-3000C-3500C.pdf

Any idea why the position the reel is held makes a difference in noise?

Also..this reel was kind of a new adventure for me. The spinners I have had apart,at the point where the rotor is going to be put back on,never allowed the pinion gear to move.. This reel was such..that I had to pull the pinion forward by hand,and line up the rotor opening,and then once the nut went on, I guess thats what holds the pinion in the correct position. I was not familiar with this.  Thanks

philaroman

just from my experience w/ Japanese worm-gear oscillation in older Shimano's...

triple-check 47-50 & 71 -- make sure everything is seated/engaged correctly & spring washer 71 actually springs (not crushed)

actually, start over -- you have one of THOSE:

1) some part(s) may have a distinct top/bottom, which you can't tell from the fuzzy schematic combined w/ "helpful disassembly by someone else" ::)

2) if nothing supports the pinion bottom, all the parts on top & rotor get attached BEFORE you finish the body, so you can push the pinion up from the inside

3) can't help w/ exact sequence w/out reel in hand -- contemplate & visualize: e.g., 47-50 & 71 may have to go in 1st; then pinion, top parts & rotor; then drop in the main shaft & finish the body

go slow & think deep -- it may be frustrating, but once you figure it out, you'll know not only that model, but every reel w/ a similar progression of assembly

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on February 25, 2018, 05:59:30 AM
just from my experience w/ Japanese worm-gear oscillation in older Shimano's...

triple-check 47-50 & 71 -- make sure everything is seated/engaged correctly & spring washer 71 actually springs (not crushed)

actually, start over -- you have one of THOSE:

1) some part(s) may have a distinct top/bottom, which you can't tell from the fuzzy schematic combined w/ "helpful disassembly by someone else" ::)

2) if nothing supports the pinion bottom, all the parts on top & rotor get attached BEFORE you finish the body, so you can push the pinion up from the inside

3) can't help w/ exact sequence w/out reel in hand -- contemplate & visualize: e.g., 47-50 & 71 may have to go in 1st; then pinion, top parts & rotor; then drop in the main shaft & finish the body

go slow & think deep -- it may be frustrating, but once you figure it out, you'll know not only that model, but every reel w/ a similar progression of assembly

I was thinking about that area of the reel as well..but tell me,,why do they call it a spring washer? The two washers are just plain flat washers,,one is gold,the other silverish..and it has a crease ,,bent a bit.

philaroman

maybe it's not enough "has a crease ,,bent a bit", anymore; maybe it just needs to be flipped; may need to add a shim...  I'm going by old Shimano's w/ similar set-up & order of assembly; can only help w/ general procedure & possible pitfalls -- not, precise step-by-step or Daiwa parts condition

Midway Tommy

I've run into spring washers that have lost their bend many times. If the washer is still in good condition I rebend them to get some spring effect. The spring/waffle pattern is mainly there to take up slack and resist free play.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Chuck750ss

[/quote]

I would venture to say that everyone on this forum has "been there,done that"! ;) Very good advice.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on February 25, 2018, 01:26:18 PM
maybe it's not enough "has a crease ,,bent a bit", anymore; maybe it just needs to be flipped; may need to add a shim...  I'm going by old Shimano's w/ similar set-up & order of assembly; can only help w/ general procedure & possible pitfalls -- not, precise step-by-step or Daiwa parts condition

Ok I disassembled again..here is how I assembled the reel. Just want another set of eyes on this. Now the worm gear section.....those two washers in the picture,hopefully you can see that " crease" in the silver one..I assume this is the spring washer?? Do you know if the spring washer should look like it does? Should it be bent more? Or what direction it should face? Do you think it goes on the worm gear before or after the gold one?

Anyway,do you see anything obviously wrong?
It's interesting to me that parts 31-36 are held in only by the two silver screws on top of part #32