Custom S332, how much drag?

Started by jjdbike, February 25, 2018, 12:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdbike

Hey folks,

My friend EC Newellman souped up my S332. Tiburon frame & star, Aluminum spool, Cortez sleeve, cups & bearings, Pro Challanger 3.6:1 gears, Bryan's Ultimate Drag Set, Power Hande.

I'm trying to fishure out what lb test braid to put on it & where it should fit in my line up.

How much drag would you feel comfortable fishing w/ & what would you max it out at?

Thanks!
JD

jjdbike

Nevermind,
I was experiencing some brain flatulance. I asked this before. I was told 18 comfortable, 25 max. That tells me I am safe w/ 50lb braid, do you folks agree?
I guessing I'll get somewhere around 400 yards on it.
Now, to figure out what type of line (casting jigs and bottom fishing from a party boat). I'll use a 30' mono topshot.
Opinions, input or suggestions?
Thanks!
JD

vilters

332 newell is my favorite ocean reel. i back mine w/ 5o-65 spectra and fish 30# topshot for livelining live bait, or #40 for casting jigs. so cal style.

TEAMFISH

Pretty much have the same upgrades done to my 322. I run 65# spectra and a 100 yrd. 40#  top shot for throwing jigs. The 18# drags comfortably/25 max. is spot on.

jjdbike

Newell Nut

You will have some serious fun with that reel. Will last a very long time and just wash the heck out of it with fresh water after use and no worries.
18 to 20 on drag is a lot of drag but the reel can handle it just fine. Those 3.6 gears are super. Can't hurt them.

Dwight