Shimano 100Q Bio Grip

Started by Grey Ghost, February 25, 2018, 01:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Ghost

This reel was begging to be torn apart and Supertuned, far as I know it is one of Shimano's smallest size , just a hair bigger than the AXUL. It incorporates a nice stacked rear drag, (check out the pic). You might ask why I would waste time to work on such an "insignificant" reel, I'm an Ultra Light guy and somewhat a fan of Shimanos, plus, I ordered the wrong size bearings so I had to find something they fit in! LOL Finally received my Ceramic Hybrid Bearings from a slow boat from overseas, popped one under the rotor and put the old (not yet broken in) stainless one on the handle. Other tuning included polishing to a gleaming shine, the shaft, main gear surface, main gear inserts,top and bottom, oscillating guide, inside pinion gear. and each drag washer. The added bearing under the handle (some smaller reels will accept one on each side) is my goto upgrade on most of these small reels, usually the rotor bearing is the same size as the side plate handle bushing.

foakes

As with a lot of folks on our Alan Tani Reel site, Stephen —

Your skills are impressive when it comes to these Microlite spinners.

Thanks for the good photos.

As I have learned from others, I can see that there will be many useful things to learn from you also!

In our little trade we are doing for the Quick Microlites, one of the reels you picked out was this little Shimano AXUL-SA Front drag ball bearing tiny reel weighing in at 5.5 oz.  This one you picked out appears to have possibly never been used.  Function is smooth and flawless — and with the metal skirted spool, is a great little reel, IMO.

Also pulled a new extra spool out of the Shimano spool bin for you.  Will send it along.

These tiny guys are 500 size — and very tough.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

OK, now you're talkin' small Shimano spinners, that I know more about (albeit, later ones from the 90's)

pretty sure you have the '88 AX-100Q which is standard 100/1000-size ("Bio Grip" just refers to the textured knob)
http://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/AX%20Series/SHIMANO%20AX100Q(88-25).pdf

your new AXUL-SA is MUCH SMALLER (almost 500c-size)...  looks like a cheaper version of my Spirex 500
there are better/later 500 & 750 size models that I don't have... all smaller than AX-100Q

great job on the "elbow-grease" aspect of super-tuning, but there is OH, SO MUCH MORE you could do from the upgrade/Frankenstein perspective:

upgrade to solid SiC line-roller, from Stradic 1000F (same goes for your new AXUL-SA)

get rid of the stupid self-centering 1-point A/R & convert to 8-tooth ratchet

get rid of the casting trigger -- convenient, but less so w/ non-centering 8-point A/R & not worth the added weight/bulk, IMO

many handle options -- little Spirex double-paddle for AXUL; double-paddle or little T-bar (rosewood or plastic) for AX-100Q, etc.

bearings RD-0930 & RD-2254 should replace the plastic bushings on the main gear of AXUL-SA...  you should also be able to bring the AX-100Q bearing total up to 3, but I don't know exact sizes

aluminum Spirex 500 spools will fit your new AXUL-SA; both, RD-4142 & RD-4860 will work, but one (can't tell which) has a minutely wider drag well that fits the tiny 6-stack from some 10-size Okuma's...  still playing around w/ that

Grey Ghost

Foakes, I have several AXULs but that metal spool caught my eye , don't have one like that, "SA" thought it might be special. thanks for xtra spool.
Philaroman, slow down I'm taking notes, lol your giving me some great ideas. I'm still stuck on "frankensteining" and meshing some Diawas, 500c 700c mini mites minispins and UL7s
You don't like the self centering??? lol

Grey Ghost

Your exactly right, it is a 1000 size, here next to an AXULS and a Custom 1000

philaroman

Quote from: Grey Ghost on February 27, 2018, 02:35:09 AM
...You don't like the self centering??? lol

nope, don't like snaggletooth hillbilly ratchets

ratchets are supposed to have teeth -- not, tooth

Grey Ghost

Fred, thanks for the kind words, it is very flattering that you think I have "skills" with these tiny microlites, I think more like I just don't know when to stop unscrewing screws or nuts, and springing springs. I have scoured over the board and have learned bunches from you and all the rest of the top notch people here at Tani.