Old Penn Reels hat. Need info on this old New Jersey tackle shop

Started by 1badf350, February 26, 2018, 11:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

So i recently got this old Penn Reels hat. How old it is, i have no idea. Im hoping some of you New Jersey guys my be able to provide info on the tackle shop printed on top of it. My supergoogling is not coming up with anything. Thank you!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

1badf350

Well, the only other one i have seen belongs to Dom. Its kinda goofy looking. The brim is huge. It looks like something i would have worn as a kid skateboarding or BMX biking in the 80's LOL
Thanks!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

broadway

Chris,  I believe they're from the 40's.  Ted had a nice one he sold to a member on AT also.
Those hats aren't too easy to find in the condition yours is in nor the one Ted sold.  Mine is a beater, but I still love it.
Nice buy Chris,
Dom

oc1

broadway

Carl L

That is way too cool !!  The vintage part of this hobby is my favorite aspect... terrific find there...

ez2cdave

I found some info . . .

There may be a man named Al King associated with "The Sport Spot" . . . Miscellaneous info below !

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/314533910/

QUOTE : "The Brunswick Bowmen also , have made arrangements to participate In the opener along with the Gray Goose Bowmen of this city. Al King, of the Sport Spot, District Governor of the New Jersey Bowhunters Association, will not be out Jhe first day but after 'he catches up on hia business he will take off to join other hunters from his club in the deer hunt."

Page 5 in this PDF has an article from 1949 for "The Sport Spot"

www.digifind-it.com/franklin/data/record/1949/09%20September/09-30-1949.pdf

GoogleMaps . . .

https://www.google.com/maps/place/417+George+St,+New+Brunswick,+NJ+08901/@40.4976297,-74.4467384,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c3c6517d30f371:0x858ac8d898e62b5e!8m2!3d40.4976297!4d-74.4445497

AND

Photo of the Rivoli Theatre . . .

http://photos.cinematreasures.org/production/photos/151875/1451773620/large.jpg?1451773620

Tight Lines !

1badf350

Wow thanks Steve, what book is that from?
And Dave, thanks for digging up those ads and articles!
-Chris

oc1

Chris, it's from Saltwater Fishing Tackle by Harlan Major.  First edition in 1939, revised in 1948 and revised again in 1955.  My copy is 1955 and I don't know the date of the photo or if it appeared in earlier editions.  The book was discussed in another thread here somewhere.
-steve

1badf350

-Chris

oc1

Notice his reel is not a Penn,  The absence of light tackle baitcasters in the Penn line-up has always been an issue.
-steve

thorhammer

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 27, 2018, 12:00:09 AM
Well, the only other one i have seen belongs to Dom. Its kinda goofy looking. The brim is huge. It looks like something i would have worn as a kid skateboarding or BMX biking in the 80's LOL
Thanks!

You know you had a Bert's Surf Shop painters hat and a Hawaiian Tropic tee with Birdwell's. And checkerboard Vans or shell toe Adidas.

handi2

I have one that I bought from Ted. It came from another member. It's packed away and like new.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

1badf350

Quote from: handi2 on February 27, 2018, 09:14:12 PM
I have one that I bought from Ted. It came from another member. It's packed away and like new.

Keith
Keith unpack that thing!
-Chris