Old Penn Reels hat. Need info on this old New Jersey tackle shop

Started by 1badf350, February 26, 2018, 11:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

I'm just a caretaker for the hat. Maybe when I'm 100 I'll pass it on :D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

broadway

That's the one.  Keith was lucky enough to get it.  It's too pretty to be packed away, bust that thing out for a photo shoot!
Dom

Carl L

Just for dating purposes, the photo of the "riviera" theatre has a 63 or 64 impala in it, so pic has to be after that

Carl L

Also, the 1941 penn catalog on scott's bait and tackle site shows a fisherman wearing that same hat. I stumbled upon that while trying to figure out what year penn first made the model 15 that I just bought.. (1941)

handi2

Here it is...

And the store in Sarasota, FL
Gulf Breeze, FL

Carl L

What is the "bill" on that hat appear to be made of ? Maybe rubberized canvas? That thing looks mint !!!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

ez2cdave

Quote from: Carl L on March 01, 2018, 01:29:24 AM
What is the "bill" on that hat appear to be made of ? Maybe rubberized canvas? That thing looks mint !!!

The bill of that hat kind of reminds me of a Duckbill Platypus . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

Love this thread ;). Keith that old photo to go with the hat is a special combination.  Thanks for sharing.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Pretty sure one of our local tackle shops has one of these.  They do come up on EBay from time-to-time (maybe 4Xs in 4 years?).

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on February 27, 2018, 05:50:43 PM
Notice his reel is not a Penn,  The absence of light tackle baitcasters in the Penn line-up has always been an issue.
-steve

Steve,

Did you forget the 910, 920, 930, & 940 Levelmatics ?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1835.0

Tight Lines !

oc1

Hi Dave.  The photo was taken a long time before the levelmatics came out.  Also, the levelmatics are way larger than the old 60 yard to 100 yard size baitcasters.  There were probably a few years there in the 1970's when Penn was close to having a small reel but then Lew's, Shimano and Ryobi started coming out with low profile and palming reels and Penn was left behind again.
-steve

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on March 10, 2018, 08:07:44 PM
Hi Dave.  The photo was taken a long time before the levelmatics came out.  Also, the levelmatics are way larger than the old 60 yard to 100 yard size baitcasters.  There were probably a few years there in the 1970's when Penn was close to having a small reel but then Lew's, Shimano and Ryobi started coming out with low profile and palming reels and Penn was left behind again.
-steve

Hi Steve,

I figured you meant throughout Penn's history, since you said, " The absence of light tackle baitcasters in the Penn line-up has always been an issue."

I love the Levelmatic's !

Tight Lines !