YFT in Pensacola

Started by handi2, February 27, 2018, 12:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

The Yellowfin bite is getting hot where I live. The big ones come in the Gulf to spawn this time of year.

We got my boat polished up and ready to go.

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f38/tuna-madness-2-18-a-883289/
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ReelFishingProblems

Wish I could get to the YFT out of Tampa.
Definitely jealous

Nick

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Hope you get the biggest one,,,,,what rod and reel ? Are you going to use  ;D

Tightlines667

Go get 'em Keith!

They have been sparse around here since mid December (which showed a 2 week long North Side bite).  The charter boats have only been dropping 1 to 3 60-100lb fish per week the last 2 months.  We had a 10 day Striper bite, but they are now mostly gone, as the front migrated 150nm south the past few days.  We have had a good small Mahi bite going on this month, and maybe late next month our Wahoo should start to show up.

I just checked my logs, and I've fished 48 trips (700 engine hours) since May 01, with only caught the following...
-111 small shallow water bottomfish
-20 Akule
-19 Mahi
-16 Skipjack Tuna
-5 Wahoo
-5 Yellowfin Tuna
-1 Shortbill Spearfish
-& had 2 Blue Marlin on
I probably lost another 2 Wahoo, 25 Mahi, 5 Skipjack, 4 or 5 small Yellowfin Tuna.

Really that's only about 1 fish caught per 10+hours of trolling, not good.

I hope I can boost those Wahoo, and Yellowfin Tuna numbers next year.

I spent about $7k in fuel, bait, & ice, and generated $6k in revenue from fish sales, and fileted about 200lbs for myself or friends and family to eat.  I covered trip costs, or profited in May, June, July, and February, and operated in the red for the other 6 months.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on February 27, 2018, 01:41:36 AM
Wish I could get to the YFT out of Tampa.
Definitely jealous

Nick

You can but you have to do the first leg on a trailer :D  We did it from Portland and Klamath Falls, OR.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

conchydong

That's great Keith, I hope you get in them. Off of SE Florida they are unicorns as the migration patterns put them in Bahamian waters although on occasion a few are caught locally. Even a few Giant Bluefin are hooked up but it is a rare  happening.  I wonder how the YFT fishing would be with some deep drilling rigs off of the Panhandle.

handi2

Quote from: handi2 on February 27, 2018, 12:13:30 AM
The Yellowfin bite is getting hot where I live. The big ones come in the Gulf to spawn this time of year.

We got my boat polished up and ready to go.

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f38/tuna-madness-2-18-a-883289/

That's where most of them are caught.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 27, 2018, 04:17:07 AM

I spent about $7k in fuel, bait, & ice, and generated $6k in revenue from fish sales, and fileted about 200lbs for myself or friends and family to eat.  I covered trip costs, or profited in May, June, July, and February, and operated in the red for the other 6 months.

John

I'd say this is a pretty incredible thing that few have the oputunity to duplicate. John I sent you PM did you get it... Jeff 

broschro

Awesome! On my bucket list of fish to battle.