Leather drag washers

Started by Chuck750ss, February 27, 2018, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Going to use one of my 2091's and probably my 2081. Questioning whether to use the leather drags or save them and use carbonex. Thoughts?

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

If you're going to fish the reel, carbon fiber is the best choice. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Chuck750ss

The leather is in very good shape. I actually like leather. But, figured it best to save them for a future restoration.
BTW, does everyone use carbonex on the underspool washers?

Tiddlerbasher

If the under spool washer is intended to be a drag washer (like some of the Okumas) then use cf - otherwise I would use delrin ;)

mo65

I guess realistically, it depends on what fish you target as to what drag material is needed. If you stand a chance of hooking a fish that will rip off 100yds. of line, carbon fiber in the spool and delrin under it is the ticket. If your targeted fish rarely runs far, the whole thing may be a mute issue. Also, intended drag power affects material choice. There is nothing smoother than Teflon, but it only works good at lower power settings. It will crush at high drag numbers. Leather can be silky smooth under 5lbs., but as the power increases it starts to chatter. I've found the best thing to do is experiment, because every reel is different, and results on the water can defy results on paper. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on February 27, 2018, 04:11:39 AM
   If you're going to fish the reel, carbon fiber is the best choice. 8)
Quote from: Keta on February 27, 2018, 04:33:14 PM
Replace the leather with CF.
X3
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

handi2

X4...

The leather will be very sticky at any higher drag.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

Experience the reel as it was meant to be.  Leather.
-steve

Chuck750ss

sdlehr

Quote from: oc1 on February 27, 2018, 09:54:00 PM
-steve
Steve could have a point, but first decide, "Do I want to experience the reel or catch more fish with fewer problems?" It's possible he may be humored if you agree to try both :)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

Quote from: sdlehr on February 28, 2018, 04:14:57 AM
Quote from: oc1 on February 27, 2018, 09:54:00 PM
-steve
Steve could have a point, but first decide, "Do I want to experience the reel or catch more fish with fewer problems?" It's possible he may be humored if you agree to try both :)
This assumes that you are using the same fishing line as was used back in the day.  You may run into problems with modern fishing lines.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

Those reels did not come out until well into the monofilament age.  There is still plenty of stiff crappy monofilament around.

You guys have a weird fixation with carbon fiber drags.  It may be the best material for a tuna/marlin reel where you need to dissipate a lot of heat.  But, every reel does need to have carbon fiber drags.  We're talking about a surf reel here.  If the leather is not dried out and crumbling it will have the stopping power and be plenty smooth.  There is no sacrifice or handicap.
-steve

wfjord

Can't speak for the 2081 or other spinners, but the original leather washers in my 5500C have held up remarkably well and stayed smooth for over 35 years.  When I rebuilt it last year I almost put CFs in it, but instead opted for identical (NOS?) Ambassadeur leather washers I found locally. They are super smooth.  When I scraped the flaky black film off the old washer the leather looked and felt as good as the new one!