MXL MC Casting distance ????

Started by RickK1948, February 27, 2018, 05:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Quote from: RickK1948 on February 27, 2018, 05:34:39 PM
I've read a lot of good and bad reports on the Avet MXL MC as far as casting Distance.
I'm seriously thinking of buying one for 8 & Bait Surf Casting on a Rainshadow 13 footer. I like
the line capacity of the MXL MC but will I be disappointed as far as casting distance. Even at the lowest setting ???

Thanks
Rick

MXL MC as a surf casting reel is potentially and awesome piece of equipment, as are the non-mag versions. I used to import them for the shop, but our whole surf scene has gone over to braid and fixed spool reels.

However, back to the topic. The non-mag versions are pretty wild in a surf casting situation, potential for huge crow's nests, though I did think the MC would fix that problem. Disappointed when I first used it, too much magnetic control, even on the lowest setting - so set about 'fixing' that issue. Remove the magnet from the carrier, be very concious of the orientation, as you need to replace the magnet in exactly the same orientation later.

Next shave slowly with a very fine file, about 0.5mm off the operational face of the magnet, it is a bit of a chore, as all the filings are magnetic, and jam up your file. Reassemble, and test - now you have a reel with magnetic control, that has been much reduced - to the point wher ethe lowes setting is now close to a non-MC Avet -- wild, but now you can just dialin however much control you need.

With 14' surf rods, I used one such MXL MC for a good number of years, as it was a pure distance machine, set it a little too soft for the wind conditions, and it would give amazing crow's nests, but get it right and the sinker and bait would just sail out - 150 metres easy, and not with excessive sinker weight, down to 5 or 6oz sinkers and reasonable baits.

It remained my 'go to' reel until we all changed over to fixed spool and braid. When I sold off all my multiplier surf stuff, I just couldn't part with that reel, and amazing bit of kit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

RickK1948

Thanks for all the Advice !!!!!
After all the research I decided to just stick with what I have.
The ABU 7500CT Big Game Collection reel I have has 3 Bearings plus Multi Stop anti Reverse.
I ordered a High Speed Gear Conversion  kit from Mikes Reel Repair for it, It already has upgraded bearings and Carbon Drag
it will hold around 450 yards of Platypus Super 100 20# Mono.
The ABU 7000CS Pro Rocket will be converted to a CT , Jerry @ Hookless.com had a nice chrome CT Cage
it also has upgraded bearings and drag. Will hold same amount of line as the 7500
I ordered two Knobby Mag Kits from PMR specifically designed for the  7500 / 7000 ABU's
So for about 125 Dollars I'll have two setups for fishing the Florida Surf...
Thanks Again
Rick

Swami805

Be sure to post some pictures of what you catch!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Sounds like your going to be set... Jeff

AJ

Jeri mentioned casting with braid and that is why I like the Avet MC.  My thumb only seems to work with mono!  One bad backlash with braid and you will be looking for a knife.

I may lose a small bit of distance BUT never picking a birds nest out of braid is worth it to me.