Fin-Nor 6/0 2 Speed

Started by handi2, February 27, 2018, 10:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I got this reel from Randy Pauly. I had a few minutes to take a look.

Here are a few pictures of the gear case and it's 4 bearings. The 2 outer bearings were ruined so I used some rubber sealed bearings packed with grease.

To change gears you push a tab, pull the handle out, swing it around, and put it in the other hole. A tab keeps the handle from coming out of the chromed swing arm.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

There 2 brass washers and 2 clips that attach to the ends of the gears above the bearings I didn't show.

Left side plate and cam gear assembly.
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Assembly

The brass cam arm has 3 bumps. They go down against the body. The top of the arm fits on a pin.

The cam gear with the bearing in the middle goes on next. There is a locating pin it locks into.

Now the spool slides on followed by the drag pressure plate and the tail plate.
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

A couple more.

Shown next to an Avet EXW 50W
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

Nice work kieth, thanks for showing, interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

Thanks Don,

It would be interesting to change gears while a fish is on :D
Gulf Breeze, FL

Carl L

Nice fin-nor, what kinda red grease are you using ?

54bullseye

Keith I also bought a 6/0 two speed from Randy. I took off and cleaned tail plate and clicker assembly and the two speed transmission but I didn't get into drag assembly. Mine runs real nice also I believe mine is a 6/0 wide version yours looks to be also. Here is mine. Neat little reels.   John Taylor

54bullseye

Couple more

handi2

Very nice. There are 9 bearings in these reels.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: handi2 on February 28, 2018, 12:39:18 AM
Thanks Don,

I was thinking the same thing.  Its like juggling a feather, a golf ball, and a bucket of water.
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

305al

Changing gears is not a problem, like its larger brothers(7.5,9,12/0) you let the spool rest on the anti reverse pawls, which unloads the force on the drive gears, pull out the handle and select the other gear. The gear train is always engaged, you are simply changing which gear is to be driven by the handle.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Nasty Wendy on March 05, 2018, 06:47:20 PM
Quote from: handi2 on February 28, 2018, 12:39:18 AM
Thanks Don,

I was thinking the same thing.  Its like juggling a feather, a golf ball, and a bucket of water.
That`s funny  I was thinking the same thing   3 guys in excitement trying to change gears..    mo ,Larry curly
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

UKChris

I have heard (but cannot verify) that it was not unknown for someone to pull the handle right out of the reel body when all keyed up and excited during a fishy battle. Even more alarming, it was (apparently) not unknown for the angler to fling the handle overboard in his surprise! Unless the crew had a spare handle, you then had a major problem on your hands!

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to play with an 'as new' 7½/0 and indeed if you are too enthusiastic you can pull the handle right out, overcoming the little stop thingy that ought to prevent this from happening.

But it was a lovely reel and I wanted to put it in my bag and take it home with me  ;)

handi2

I have 4 more sizes of these reels now. I will post when i can.
Gulf Breeze, FL