More Better Grease ?

Started by swoffer, February 28, 2018, 07:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swoffer

Wondering if anyone here has tried this stuff or heard anything about it , good or bad ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv4OdNQRDkM

Cheers Al

Keta

Bad link, try this one.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swoffer

Thanks Keta , dont know whats up with that .

Keta

Me too, they both look the same but mine worked.

This grease looks like food grade silicone but sticks like chainsaw bar oil.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swoffer

Yeh , Ive found a supplier locally who;s going to give me some to try .

Its not bloody cheap tho at $30 for 15 grams

Bryan Young

I saw that on Facebook.

The grease is sticky so you don't need much. That is why I use Evinrude Triple Guard on the gears.  I don't use much.

The first grease he used, he applied a lot and that is why it pushed out. I bet if he put just enough, it would not push out but it would defeat the demonstration.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

swoffer

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2018, 01:37:13 AM
I bet if he put just enough, it would not push out but it would defeat the demonstration.

Yeh , good point Bryan.

I've used it on a few reels now and its does just what he claims in the vid . What its going to be like after some time in a salt water environment only time will tell . For the price tho , its going to have to be a miracle grease to keep using it .

I've just had another importer approach me to trial his product to , " Duethlon " . He's given me a drag grease that he claims is a wonder product (we'll see) and a gear grease that is white and totally different consistency to the "More Better Grease"

farnorthlbg

Ive followed Reel Spa's page on Facebook for a few years now and have been watching Calvin promoting it since it became available.  Interesting looking stuff alright, I was interested in purchasing some to try on some of my own gear but the price including international shipping is comparable to that of even the highest performance PFPE based greases like Du Pont's Krytox range and Solvay's Fomblin flouropolymer grease, which in my experiences are superior to everything.

I asked for an MSDS for the product which has always been mandatory for myself especially considering its price, but he wouldn't give me one which I found a bit strange, so Ive rain-checked my purchase till I've heard more results from guys who are currently trialling it.

In the video demonstration it's obvious what's going to happen if you apply an excessive amount of grease (conventional or high performance) to a gear-set, the surplus will be displaced indicating 'too much' was applied.  That doesn't mean the grease isn't going to do its job, the grease will have created a thin film on the teeth of the gears which is all that is required.  Then its as simple as removing the surplus as we all know.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating at all, I'm just a curious potential customer, but it would be nice to access some details on its chemical makeup and wear test data before I was to pull the trigger on handing over my hard earned cash for the unknown.

Will be interested to hear results from anyone else who is using it

Dominick

More better is redundant.   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swoffer

Quote from: farnorthlbg on March 14, 2018, 10:32:53 PM

Will be interested to hear results from anyone else who is using it

I'm just about to put it in a Talica 12 that gets used extensively for deep dropping here in West Aus . Its anything from 150 down to about 400 meters . The owner is going to give it back to me after a couple of months use and I'll open it back up and see whas what .

I'll try and get some before and after pics .

farnorthlbg

Thankyou so much for that offer swoffer, that would be most appreciated mate!

Donnyboat

Yes Al, looking forwards to the results, thanks, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

Way too expensive for me.

If you open a reel after 4 years like I did with one of mine the Evinrude Triple Guard grease will still be there. It will still be the same blue color and thickness.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel Beaker

whut..... and i thought yamaha blue marine grease was the gold standard here. Only have bakau and daiwa saltwater grease here.... oh.. and some common red lithium grease that i was pressured to buy in a hardware shop.... The salesperson was too pushy...kept demanding to know why common red lithium grease "wont cut it"... oh well... never going back there again...

jurelometer

Quote from: handi2 on March 16, 2018, 01:57:07 AM
Way too expensive for me.

If you open a reel after 4 years like I did with one of mine the Evinrude Triple Guard grease will still be there. It will still be the same blue color and thickness.

THIS^^^^ !!!

Most reels spend most of their hours sitting around on a shelf or rod rack.   If the grease has a poor rating for oxidation,  it doesn't matter how good it is coming out of the tube.  So we are looking for a grease that can handle the combination of salt and moisture exposure with extended periods of inactivity.

Another key property is the dropping point (temperature that the grease liquefies -very important for drags).   There are ASTM standard tests for all sorts of functional properties.

I have been able to find product data sheets for greases used in industrial settings that  include lots of ASTM  test results.  Nothing for lubricants marketed directly for fishing reels.

I think these fishing reel lubricant "makers"  are in a bit of a bind.   Their value to us is that they can select the best recipe for fishing reels,  but if they tell us too much,  we can find  a much cheaper industrial product that is very close or identical.   If there was a newly discovered ingredient or manufacturing process, it is unlikely that fishing reel maintenance  would be the first market.   

More adhesion is not always better.  If the grease is adhering to both gears it is creating resistance to turning the handle.  Add enough adhesive properties and you end up with an adhesive!  Also a grease that is just right for they tropics might thicken up too much in snow country and vice-versa.

I think it is up to  supplier to provide ASTM results, or at least a credible technical explanation of  why their product is  better than the much less expensive standard marine greases.  More sticky doesn't cut it for me either.

Unwillingness to supply a MSDS is a non-starter for me,  but everybody has to make their own call.

-J