More Better Grease ?

Started by swoffer, February 28, 2018, 07:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Yep - I re-started from square one (well pretty much).
I started with what was most accessible from a price and local source point of view. That really narrowed things down.
Then suitability - marine grease with teflon - I wanted a universal grease for everything including drags - I like to keep things simple where possible.
I found a local (reasonable price) product - I'm still playing with it - but so far looks good. It's ticking the boxes ;)

swoffer

Quote from: jurelometer on March 16, 2018, 08:02:25 PM

I have been able to find product data sheets for greases used in industrial settings that  include lots of ASTM  test results.  Nothing for lubricants marketed directly for fishing reels.

Yeh , I approached Reel Spa for an MSDS for his More better grease and got a flat "no can do sorry"
Too worried about secrecy , I suggested that I would like to know what chemicals I'm putting on my fingers , he said sorry bout that .                                                   So , the jury is still out with this product . I've just put it in the Talica I was talking about earlier and the owner is taking it on a Mako Shark fishing trip this coming week , so that should sort it out .

alantani

i believe that an MSDS is required by law.  without one, i would recommend against using this product. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Yup - I think that an MSDS (or SDS in other countries) is pretty much compulsory - how can you do a safety assessment without one ???

alantani

well, it's likely food grade teflon, but refusing an MSDS could be bad for business.  still, it's his business, not ours.  he should run it as he sees fit.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

exp2000

Quote from: swoffer on March 14, 2018, 11:56:13 PM
Quote from: farnorthlbg on March 14, 2018, 10:32:53 PM

Will be interested to hear results from anyone else who is using it

I'm just about to put it in a Talica 12 that gets used extensively for deep dropping here in West Aus . Its anything from 150 down to about 400 meters . The owner is going to give it back to me after a couple of months use and I'll open it back up and see whas what .

I'll try and get some before and after pics .

Hi Swoffer. What was the final verdict?
~

swoffer

Hi , apologies for not updating this .

I ended up putting this product in 2 reels , the owner was booked on a 4 day trip to an island group over here called the Abrohlos . Its and area with prolific fish life so the reels were going to get a good workout . I asked him to bring them back to me so I could open them up to get a feel for how this grease performed in comparison to the online promo videos .
Disappointed would be an understatement , the product had liquified and seemingly evaporated (I'm sure it didnt actually evaporate but thats how it appeared)
Bottom line it was a waste of $20 for a tiny tub and I wont be using it again .
I should probably add that both reels were completely cleaned of any previous lubricants so there was no chance of it reacting with non compatible substances .
Lesson learned , I'm glad I got the owner to bring them back for review as a lack of lube inside would have obviously created problems down the track .
Cheers Al

Dominick

Thanks for the report.  That's the kind of info we need.  What do you think?  Is it possible the grease got hot and melted through the drain holes or was there some residue?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swoffer

Nah it hadnt got hot , there was still trace amounts of it inside the reel , just not on the gear faces.

mo65

Quote from: swoffer on February 16, 2019, 01:21:53 AMDisappointed would be an understatement , the product had liquified and seemingly evaporated (I'm sure it didnt actually evaporate but thats how it appeared)
Bottom line it was a waste of $20 for a tiny tub and I wont be using it again .

Interesting...whatever makes it so sticky must be water soluble. Sounds like it washed away. I'm not sure which issue would turn me off the most...the disappearing act...or the stiffness in the handle until the disappearing act! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

conchydong

That grease looked like the sticky stuff produced by the Japanese Natto  (fermented soy beans).

Glad to get a report on it before anyone wasted any money.

Scott