Steelhead upstream of Lake Sonoma, CA

Started by El Pescador, February 28, 2018, 10:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humboldtdan

They get So Cal steelhead in some of those messed-up urban rivers still so all hope is not lost.  "Reservoirs" of old genetics have been very important to restoring some fish runs/populations including greenback cutthroat which were found in California high lakes and returned to COlorado and lake trout from western reservoirs returned to Great lakes where they originated, for example.  There is talk of using Chinook from New Zealand which were originally winter-run Chinook from Sacramento river to repopulate above Shasta Dam.

El Pescador

Photos of my mushroom-hunting buddy (work associate), Matt.

He dried the porcini mushrooms, and provided a bag to me for my use.

The knife was from his Grandfather, very cool knife.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Wow!  A lot of flavor in those white ones.  How would you like some risotto with porcini mushrooms.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on March 04, 2018, 12:17:25 AM
Wow!  A lot of flavor in those white ones.  How would you like some risotto with porcini mushrooms.  Dominick

You're on Culinary Master!!!!

And the red wine is on me!!!!

Wayne

Alto Mare

Those look good Wayne. My oldest brother made a living hunting Truffles in Italy, he's no longer with us. He used to send them in jars with olive oil, also from out trees.
Quote from: El Pescador on March 04, 2018, 01:28:31 AM

Wayne
Don't give him a big head ::) :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 04, 2018, 01:50:53 AM
Those look good Wayne. My oldest brother made a living hunting Truffles in Italy, he's no longer with us. He used to send them in jars with olive oil, also from out trees.
Quote from: El Pescador on March 04, 2018, 01:28:31 AM

Wayne
Don't give him a big head ::) :)

Sal, Wayne came over today and brought me a couple of ounces of dried porcini.  I will make some risotto one day but I have a craving for a sugo with beef and porcini with rigatoni.  I can't wait.  Wayne you're in for the sugo also.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

SUGO???

OK, Sal & Dominick, you are our resident Paisanos but you are talking code here,

SUGO???

What is that???

I'm sure if Dominick makes it will be tasty, but for now PLEASE let me know what this Italian Food Product called SUGO is all about.

Your resident Northern Italian (German Background) ;D

Wayne

Tiddlerbasher

Sugo is a sauce or gravy - like sugo de pomodoro ( Ithink I spelt it right :-\) - a tomato sauce. I believe it can also mean macerated meat/meat juices. Just never forget the parmigiano reggiano ;)

Dominick

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on March 05, 2018, 04:29:22 PM
Sugo is a sauce or gravy - like sugo de pomodoro ( Ithink I spelt it right :-\) - a tomato sauce. I believe it can also mean macerated meat/meat juices. Just never forget the parmigiano reggiano ;)

I usually give a choice of parmigiano reggiano or pecorino romano to go with the sugo.  Thanks for clearing up the explaination for these troglodytes like the northern Italian.   :D Dominick

Gman_WC

Looks good. I love to see fish in the rivers.

-gary

Quote from: El Pescador on February 28, 2018, 10:07:39 PM
A buddy was mushroom hunting in the Dry Creek arm of Lake Sonoma only to view this!!!!  STEELHEAD!!!

He was equipped with a knife for digging out mushrooms and had NO FISHING Rod & Reel with him.

I'm salivating!!!!!

Lake Sonoma is 25 miles north of Santa Rosa, CA off Hwy. 101

Wayne
Walnut Creek, CA

David Hall