Beefing up a Penn 501

Started by CFish, February 28, 2018, 10:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFish

So I have a 501 Jigmaster that is in great shape and I would like to put it back into full use.  I'm basically looking for info on where to get everything I plan on upgrading. It already has a Tiburon frame but from here what is the next step? I would definitely like to upgrade to 5:1 gears to improve the speed.  At this point, I'd also assume a new gear sleeve is necessary as well?  Would upgrading to carbonex drag washers give me much more drag over the stock washers?  As far as a handle, it already had a Penn power handle but I wouldn't mind something of a newer style.  I know these are probably the standard upgrades for these reels and would love to find sources for these parts.

Thanks

xjchad

CFish,
You've certainly come to the right place!
All of the parts you're looking for are available right here from some awesome guys that make great parts!
I'd start by browsing through the different vendors in the For Sale section.  I think you can find all the parts you need there.
Bryan Young has a great upgraded drag kit.  Motive Fab has handles and a drag insert kit.  Alan has handles and gear sleeves. Cortez conversions has a ton of parts.  Along with many of the other guys there.  The hard part is not finding the parts, it's deciding WHICH parts!  They are all high quality and great guys to work with!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

handi2

You can easily build a $300.00 reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

CFish

Quote from: handi2 on February 28, 2018, 10:35:32 PM
You can easily build a $300.00 reel.

That's kinda what I was afraid of..

handi2

Since you have the frame it wont be as costly. You can buy an entire frame and sideplates here . That's where the $300.00 comes from. That's a custom reel with everything available for it.

If you have a stock steel main gear there is a drag kit for it that works great and very reliable. The brass gears are just too soft for the higher drag. Then add a SS gear sleeve and SS dog or dogs. The stock steel gears are much smoother than some of the aftermarket SS gear sets.

The drag kit is from Bryan Young. Ultimate Drag Upgrades.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Swami805

The world is your oyster on this site, alot of great products from the vendors on here. You can just clean it up and add some CF drags or go whole hog and upgrade almost every part.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

You can get most parts from MysticParts.com

https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/BryanYoung.aspx (link corrected ~Mo)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2018, 02:01:35 AM

Bryan, Does the pricing on the UU-PENN100 look correct to you?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Gfish

Cfish(like the handle, has a certain "ring" to it), if you wanna hold the cost down, all the stuff you mentioned in your first post sounds like a good plan. What material is the spool made a? Aluminium IMO is best.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: day0ne on March 01, 2018, 05:35:28 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2018, 02:01:35 AM

Bryan, Does the pricing on the UU-PENN100 look correct to you?

I saw that price a few days ago, it can't be right, I think the last kit like that I bought was $26.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

CFish

Great info here guys, I appreciate it.  I cant seem to find the 5:1 gears though, any suggestions?

Black Pearl

Swami805

The JM500X package will check all the boxes, makes for a very powerful 501 and eliminates any weak link.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Black Pearl

Quote from: Swami805 on March 02, 2018, 01:57:57 AM
The JM500X package will check all the boxes, makes for a very powerful 501 and eliminates any weak link.

The JM500X comes in 4:1 ratio only. I am going to make some JM500XH in 5:1 in a very near future.