Mono vs Fluorocarbon

Started by Rivverrat, March 02, 2018, 05:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Kind of a neat test.

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/KiQTvmM-1cY

oc1

Wow....  I'm sold.  Floro is too stiff anyway.
-steve

Rivverrat

Steve, youve dashed my hopes you were one I was hoping might find reason to question the method of testing. I dont know for sure but the testing looks to me to have merit... Jeff

bill19803

i  wonder if  the  same    holds   true   for  the real heavy  stuff? say   150- 200

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on March 02, 2018, 06:58:33 AM
Wow....  I'm sold.  Floro is too stiff anyway.
-steve

X2
glad I've saved my money & only used it in rare, limited applications -- mostly for better sink-rate
...just lucky that I didn't like it w/ the simpler knots I use most often

mhc

Quote from: oc1 on March 02, 2018, 06:58:33 AM
Floro is too stiff anyway.
-steve

Maybe the extra stiffness restricted how much the line rolled across the sand paper during the test, causing it to abrade faster than the more flexible mono?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

That same guy used to have a video comparing Red Seaguar (less expensive) to Blue Seaguar (more expensive).  They broke with about the same number of passes of the sandpaper.  He did the test several times and the results were surprisingly consistent.

If the floro stiffness influences his test it still seems valid to me.  Rubbing against his sandpaper is not much different from rubbing it against the coral and rubble I'm fishing around. 
-steve

philaroman

hmmm,

wonder if results would be the same if:

1) friction were mostly parallel to the line, as in retrieving over something abrasive

2) tested under water, for realistic lubrication & heat dissipation

mhc

I was thinking the same thing philaroman, and was typing this while you posted;

The results for each the three lines were surprisingly consistent in this video as well. It would be interesting to see the same test done sliding the line in a linear direction ie. backwards and forwards rather than side to side.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mhc on March 02, 2018, 10:26:51 AM
I was thinking the same thing philaroman, and was typing this while you posted;

The results for each the three lines were surprisingly consistent in this video as well. It would be interesting to see the same test done sliding the line in a linear direction ie. backwards and forwards rather than side to side.

Mike

Yep, I thought about the same as well, maybe he could also wet the lines next time.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bhale1

I was reading the comments to his YouTube video, and he said he retested after soaking lines in water for 15 minutes and had the same results. Said he would try one more time after a 24 hour soak. Interesting results regardless. High cost is why I prefer mono over floro....and only use a 4 foot leader of floro if the fish are really line shy when flying live bait.
Brett

wfjord

That's a notable difference, but I think the degree of risk depends on the circumstances and fishing environment, and the type of fish you're targeting.

I bought some 12lb Seaguar AbrazX fluoro a couple weeks ago. Used it for leaders on the baitcasting and spinning outfits I carry for freshwater.  Caught considerably more stripers and largemouth than usual (though that could be attributed to other factors).  The stripers were mostly in open water (large lake) but not always and when hooked they don't head for the nearest structure like a snook does, and LM bass hardly go anywhere much.  Others I fish with have been using fluoro for years with no problem other than breakage from tying bad knots.

I also fished 3 & 4 lb fluoro tippets tied to fly leaders for trout in rocky rivers for many years and never had a problem with breakage from abrasion.

Just yesterday I bought a spool of 15lb Seaguar AbrazX for striper fishing. I'll be using it for leaders on two baitcasters loaded with 20lb power pro.  I'm not worried about breakoffs where I'll be fishing; the AbrazX is said to be tougher than the Red and the Blue Label and a little stiffer. It's still smaller diameter than same test mono and doesn't at all seem stiff; the 12lb handled nicely. I'll find out tomorrow about the 15 lb.

If I head to the coast I'll stay with mono leaders.

Midway Tommy

I've never cared for fluoro as leader material because of it's sinking tendencies, and also rigidity.

This is even more interesting, though.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mike1010

Interesting.  Regarding the mono/fluoro test, I wonder how much to generalize, as there is a large variation in physical properties in different brands of mono.  He was using Ande leader material, and that is very hard stuff, as is Ande Premium mono line.

MarkT

But fluoro is invisible in water!  Ok, that's bunk but I guess it may be less visible.  I do use it for Tuna fishing but not YT or lures.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!