Mono vs Fluorocarbon

Started by Rivverrat, March 02, 2018, 05:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I honestly believe there are times when floro gets bit better than mono. I've spent days in pick tuna bites where the tuna wouldn't touch a bait on mono and the only baits getting picked up were on floro. You'd see the fish swim right by the mono and eat the floro bait. I've also seen days when they'd only eat pink floro.
Jeff I use tournament Ande for throwing jigs, I'll have to try the Monster,never heard of it before. I use mostly Ande of one sort or another for just about everything, always had good luck with it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Swami, I've found nothing better than Ande Monster for my fishing in heavy current around rocks & logs & having its characteristics at the level it does... Jeff   

JNG3

I know very little about saltwater fishing. Can't comment on mono vs flouro for that application. For freshwater fishing however, I have tried just about every line material out there made since the late 70's. Keep coming back to a quality mono. I use a lot of Maxima Ultragreen. I also have a large stock of some old late 90's to mid 2000's BassProShops camouflage that was made in Germany. It strongly resembles Maxima Chameleon but is softer. I use a lot of Stren fluorescent mono for night time catfishing. Was given a large service spool of Berkley Big Game. I use some of it on baitcasters. Never had a problem catching fish, tying knots, or breaking off. When I look at the 'big picture' nothing else out there has as many 'pro's' compared to 'cons' as mono. While a braid or flouro may excel in one category, they fall behind mono in other aspects.

sharkman

I wonder how things would have compared if both lines had been the same diameter. I think the mono would have still prevailed but maybe lasted longer due to the increase diameter.