My quest for a citation redear

Started by biggiesmalls, March 02, 2018, 11:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

freakin' WOW!!!

I'm stealing that photo for a different Forum (I promise I won't claim to be you)

...methinks citation = trophy

bhale1

HappyHooker,
Wow! That's a slab! What lake did you catch that monster at? Congratulations!
...... Roosevelt? ....maybe😀
Brett

Swami805

Holy canoli! that's Huge!! It's like the head quits growing at about 2 pounds and the body just gets bigger. Trophy redear.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

My mistake--that ain't a fish I caught--just wanted to show how big they get.

Besides, the guy isn't nearly as debonair as I am.

I believe he caught 'er on Lake Havasu, AZ.

Frank

bhale1

Frank,
Lol!!! Now your confusing me with fancy words😀😀😀... debonair....have to look that one up (just kidding)!!!
Still a really nice slab though. !!!!
Brett

Gfish

Does look like one a those Southwestern reservior environments. Amazing how productive some those lakes can be. I'd think I'd see a sunfish species that large come out of a natural lake in the Southeast or Midwest.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

biggiesmalls

Gfish - I agree completely. If I wanted a trophy I'd head for the southeast without a doubt, but those southwestern lakes are putting out big fish...

Just an update for everyone, haven't gotten anything yet. No time on the water yesterday, going to try and get out there today for a bit. Been sunny and slowly warming up with the wind dying down, so we'll see if we can get some luck today.

Drew

festus

In Tennessee the biggest bream seem to be caught from big ponds on the Cumberland Plateau.  The state record bluegill (3 lbs) is a tie between a farm pond in Bledsoe County and Falls Creek Lake, which is a small 300 acre lake. The state record channel cat was also caught from Falls Creek Lake, 41 pounds.  The state record redear sunfish 3 lb 6 oz was also caught from a farm pond.

If I wanted to go after big bream, I'd head to West TN at Reelfoot Lake (a natural lake) or southern KY/northern TN to Land Between the Lakes (Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake).

biggiesmalls

Personally, I'll go to Kingfisher Society one day. You pay the price (over $500 a day I believe), but you've got legitimate shots at multiple bluegill over 2 lbs in a day

Drew

philaroman

a bit too close to pets...  kinda' like hunting Beefalo

happyhooker

I have heard of snails being used for bait (going after sheepshead, catfish, carp).  Use a scratch awl or something similar to punch a hole in the shell, then slip the hook in.  Crack the shell a tad to let the juices out (scent).  Or, might work if you got rid of the shell altogether.

Frank

biggiesmalls

Got out last night, only for about 30 minutes after work though. Tried a new dough bait, got completely skunked - think it's still too cold for these guys right now.

Drew

Benni3

Yes my friend it's to cold,,,,,I think you got a good spot,,,,maybe 3 or 4 weeks,,, I'm in the same boat

biggiesmalls

Don't think I'll have time to fish today, too cold anyways though.
I've got a 7' 2-8 lb rod coming in soon, with some 6 lb fluorocarbon too (same diameter as my 4 lb mono I'm using now). This setup will probably be a bit better suited to catching larger panfish specifically, I don't want to take any chances with tackle that's too light on them. This should be plenty light enough to still enjoy the fight though.

Drew

biggiesmalls

Got the new rod and line in. Going to either try tomorrow morning or tomorrow afternoon, been super busy this week with driver's ed and work all week, then SAT today.

Will post any updates if I come across anything.
Drew