Andros 12N No free Spool

Started by Rivverrat, March 04, 2018, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 05, 2018, 10:59:26 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 05, 2018, 08:48:54 PM
Do you have any pics of the drag assembly?  The Andros is a pull system...hmm, is the pinion bearing seating all the ways in the side plate?  Is the pinion bearing installed in reverse?  Are the drag pressure plates oriented correctly (the cup portion shall be towards the wavy spring)?

Theses will be the next things I would look at.  Pics would help me think of other causes though.

BRYAN, correct me if wrong but I dont  believe it matters how the pinion bearing is oriented. The metal plates I have oriented with the raised center facing out on both of them.

I'm sorry. I meant the pinion gear not the bearing.

Ok that drag assembly is correct.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Is the spool washer seated all the down?  It should be such that the hex is keyed with he hex in the spool.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

Yes drag washer on spool is fully seated.

Rivverrat

I just removed all 4 Belleville washers from spool shaft, assembled the reel & with the spool seated noticeably deeper in the left side of the frame & still no free spool.

How is this possible with the spool seating lower in the frame ?  
The 4 spring washersers are as thick as the drag assembly.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 05, 2018, 08:52:26 PM
   Testing subassemblies, and trying different things will teach you how to address this type of issue in many of today's small lever drag reels.

John

Well John I obviously can use all this I can get. I've learned a lot from you & the few times you've talked reels in your posts... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 05, 2018, 06:40:52 PM
Do you have free spool when installing the side plate but not the drag adjustment knob?

Do you have free spool with the spool installed but on the drive side plate with no frame?

Yes, but have to fiddle with drag adjustment to get it.

Tiddlerbasher

If you have free spool with the spool inserted into the tail plate but no free spool when the drive side plate is twisted into place - make sure the cross pin is seated into the tail plate - this is where  it should fit:
Look at photo 8:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1624.0
If the cross pin isn't fitted into that milled slot you will never get free spool

Rivverrat

Completely understand what your saying. However I've never been able to get the drive side in place on a reel with out the cross pin lined up allowing the spool to settle in place.

Also with out the cross pin in its slot how can I  still adjust the drag? The shaft would just turn in the spool when I turn the drag knob. Unless I guess it was only partially in that slot giving the issue I'm having.

Chris, what your saying makes perfect sense. But the spool on this reel when I checked numerous times seems to be sitting no higher in the frame than on my reels. I also feel the cross pin drop in the slot prior placing the drive side on.
I'm deffinantly going to check it thoroughly I'll get back as soon as I do.

Thanks, Chris... Jeff

Rivverrat

It's fully seated

SoCalAngler

I have never had one of those reels apart but with many LD reels if the belleville washers are not in their stock configuration you will have free spool issues.

Just for sake of argument lets say the washers came stock like ()() and you made them (()) if you don't add a shim or two to make the stack like l(()) or ll(()) to make up for the thinner configuration of the bellevilles most likely you will loose freespool and on the side of the reel/spool your talking about.

It's hard to see from the pic how the washers are configured but the pic of them on the shaft to me it looks like there is more room. Meaning the spool is moving left to the non handle side and rubbing.

If the reel was working fine before and not now I'll bet the bellevilles are not stacked correctly or missing a shim.

Rivverrat

I'll now assemble reel while leaving shaft in place.

Rivverrat

Rise of drag plate above side of spool seems fine & in line with what I've seen with other 12's.

Socal, what your saying I know is true in a lot of cases. The spring washers have been in stock position. I've replaced them twice with new while trying to get this reel sorted... Jeff

Rivverrat

After getting back together. No free spool still exist. I'm not giving up on it just yet.

SoCalAngler

Cool buddy like I said I have no idea what the washer stack should be. But I have played around with enough LD reels to know if your getting rubbing/ no freespool and its coming from the non handle side 90% of the time it is the washer stack. Just try ()(), ))((, ))() and such I bet you will find the issue there.

It just sucks having to do this because it means you have to take the reel almost fully apart to mess with the bellevilles. >:(

Rivverrat

Socal, I've been inside the Andros reels so many times I can usually diagnose what's wrong with out taking them apart.
But this one has me stumped. This reel is still pretty new. It doesn't show the signs of wear that this fellas other reels I've been through did.

I've already tried different configurations of the bellevilles.
Even assembled it with out them. Neither changed anything.
You think of anything else be sure to post. Thanks, Jeff